Getting started (PK) - suggestions please!

Preschool readiness skills (birth to age 5) and the common developmental concerns of young children.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

bubbaansissy
User

Postby bubbaansissy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:47 am

hey mom2blu,

jill has such good points. here, take my mistake for example.... when my son was 4, i went to a homeschool curriculum fair & purchased the complete preschool package from a vendor (b/c i was naive & thought that's what i was "supposed" to do). so, we struggled through the year doing what we "thought" we were supposed to be doing. we weren't struggling in learning, but it was just a lot of ridiculousness packaged all together w/ a pretty little box. (no, ridiculousness is not a word :P ) i was determined to get us through all the "nonsense" work that it required. then, i began researching what a preschooler (b/c i have another child coming to that age) & a kindergartener should be learning. the more & more research i did turned up the same results: read quality books, have quality play time together, go for walks, etc. i had stumbled across karen andreola's name & susan schaeffer macauley, & others, which led me to CHARLOTTE MASON. now, i'm not saying that the "charlotte mason" method is for everyone, but upon my researching, it definitely "fit" my son's learning style so much better than the way i had been teaching him. so, that's it for us. i mean, we aren't charlotte mason followers to the exact degree some are, i like to think of us as the MODERN charlotte mason followers.

i hope someone can learn from my mistake: which, incidentally, was that i did not tune in to my son's learning style @ first or do much research. i just took what i "thought" was correct :shock: and the fact that i was excited to begin homeschooling. another point was that @ that time, i didn't have a CLUE as to where i should REALLY begin!!!!!!!
Colossians 3:2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things....

Homeschooling Mama of Jake & Kenzie Leigh
Wife of Phil (Military Dad)

Our motto for now: accidents happen.......

Minniewannabe
User

Postby Minniewannabe » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:32 pm

mom2blu,

You do exactly what you feel your child is ready for. I did exactly what you're planning including hard core curriculum at age 3 with my son. He's now a well adjusted, married, 4th year medical student.

Whether we're reading to our preschoolers, making them healthy foods, playing with them, sending them to baby music class, or doing a workbook sheet, we're all teaching our kids. A specific method you use is almost irrelevant as long as you teach and offer a variety of learning opportunities.

The same parents who criticize a purchased curriculum for a 2 year old might be spending a lot of time working on manners or teaching to put toys away. My son still can't keep his mouth shut while he eats. And he didn't even learn what room the washing machine was in until after he moved away from home. Nonetheless, every family has its priorities. It sounds like you know yours.

Good luck and I'd love to know what goodies you ended up purchasing. Isn't it fun?

alexisminnis
User

Postby alexisminnis » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:14 pm

I agree with most on this post. I haven't started the 'structured' homeschooling yet as my guy is still young as well (yet older than yours). But I think that without all the books and structured learning we are still teaching our little ones. I mean, you are the one who is teaching him how to talk right? You taught him how to wave, blow kisses, give hugs etc....you get the point right? To me this is the joy and benefit of homeschooling, we get to teach our children as they are ready.
I mean at this stage just life in general is a learning experience for them...they are sponges absorbing EVERYTHING. "Look, a bird...a plane..."
Anyways, I'm sure you get my point...I hope this was a little bit useful :)
Homeschool Software A blog reviewing and providing the latest news in homeschool software.

Jazzy
User

Postby Jazzy » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:40 am

Jill, my son LOVED the book Going to Sleep on the Farm.

Now that you've mentioned it, I am trying to remember if we still have it around so I can read it to my younger ones. Great book!

Minniewannabee, I think you are totally right that each family is different and there is absolutely nothing wrong with purchasing a curriculum for a preschooler. I just hate to see young moms get overwhelmed with feeling like they "should" do certain things, and then feeling like a failure if they don't achieve it.

We have to find balance, and also make sure we are staying in tune with our children's needs and moving at their pace.

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:23 am

Return to “Preschool and Readiness”