3.5 yo

Preschool readiness skills (birth to age 5) and the common developmental concerns of young children.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

BusyMom
User

3.5 yo

Postby BusyMom » Fri May 30, 2008 8:21 am

hi ther ladies
i just wanted to know... how is a 3.5 yo suppose to be coloring?
my son colors well...wth oil crayons.. but he simply cannot color wth pencils!!!he jus scribbles..

how do i teach him how to color? like how to hold the pencil... and to go only one direction not all over!
Homeschooler soon!

Miss_Kristy
User

Postby Miss_Kristy » Fri May 30, 2008 10:27 am

Well, my 2.5 year old can hold a pencil and crayon correctly. But he sees his older brother and sister doing it. So, I guess he learned from them. :D

Is he 'suppose to' be able to - I don't really know. I won't be sending him to Pre-K so I don't have to worry about him "keeping up" with everybody else.

I'd say, the best way to teach him how to do something is to do it yourself while he watches. You know, Monkey see Monkey do! :lol:

I'm sure he'll catch on. Have fun!!!

gardening momma
User

Postby gardening momma » Sat May 31, 2008 6:57 pm

It took my daughter a long time before she could color decently, and if she's not in the mood, she still doesn't do that great. She's 4 1/2 now. Sometimes she colors everything all one color. She doesn't stay inside the lines yet. But when she wants to, she can color more precisely, use a variety of colors, and think about what color she wants to color different parts of the picture.

A year ago she rarely did more than a faint scribble. At church she'd get hardly any of her picture done by the time the other kids had finished their pictures.

I wouldn't really worry about it. It'll come with time. If he colors lightly, you might take his hand (with the crayon in his hand) and show him that he can press down harder to make a darker line. Don't press on the crayon when you do this, press on his hand so he can feel the pressure, then see the difference of the crayon mark on the paper. If he holds the crayon too limply when you try to do this, encourage him to hold it tighter so you can draw together.

Encourage him to scribble in circles, up and down, and back & forth (across). You can take a crayon and draw a circle, vertical line, horizontal line, etc... and ask him to copy it ("Can you do that? Make a circle!")

When you say he colors with oil crayons, are you referring to an artist's crayon, or a regular Crayola-type kids' crayon? And I wouldn't worry about him using pencils right now, I think they take a little more pressure to make a mark than a crayon.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:29 pm

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

gardening momma
User

Postby gardening momma » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:07 am

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:44 pm

Jill
User

Postby Jill » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:58 pm

Jill

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:13 am

Jazzy
User

Postby Jazzy » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:07 pm

My 7 year old still doesn't color well with colored pencils. I would not worry about it at all!

Carletta

Return to “Preschool and Readiness”