How often and how long to read to kids?

Preschool readiness skills (birth to age 5) and the common developmental concerns of young children.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

gellegbs
User

How often and how long to read to kids?

Postby gellegbs » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:21 pm

riccalo
User

Re: How often and how long to read to kids?

Postby riccalo » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:34 pm

gellegbs
User

Postby gellegbs » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:20 am

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:49 pm

I am reading Dr. Do little to all three of my boys, 10, 8 and 3. The older two listen, and usually have their hands moving (they are boys after all) the youngest plays cars, or stuffed animals when he loses his attention, but it is interesting how much he actually gets. When we get to a good part, or he hears my voice rise in excitement he will very quickly come over and be very attentive and start asking questions, or looking for pictures. I don't think we give our little ones enough credit.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

gardening momma
User

Postby gardening momma » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:23 pm

My husband and I read to our kids every night at bedtime (and at other times throughout the day as well, but always at bedtime). He puts one to bed and I do the other, and we switch kids each night. Our girls are 2 and 4. We started with very simple books, sometimes just one word per page, and built up from there. The younger one can sit still for short, simple stories now (a sentence or so per page), and the older one can sit still for longer books. Lately we've been reading to her from some of my husbands old reading books from when he was in elementary. Since they are anywhere from maybe 2nd grade to 5th grade reading level, they're longer stories.

amymom
User

Postby amymom » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:05 pm

Amy

LadyJorexzill
User

Postby LadyJorexzill » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:07 pm

I have three kids, 9, 7 and 4, and I read to all of them. I usually read one story to the older two and a different one to the 4 year old. The younger one sometimes listens to some of what I'm reading to the older two, but she doesn't have the same attention span, so she never stays for the whole story.

Last night, for instance, I was reading the Tale of Nimble Deer by Arthur Scott Bailey and my 4 year old stuck around for about a chapter before she got bored.

Return to “Preschool and Readiness”