Preschool Homeschool-What Curriculum is Best?

Preschool readiness skills (birth to age 5) and the common developmental concerns of young children.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

jennlen78
User

Preschool Homeschool-What Curriculum is Best?

Postby jennlen78 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:44 am

I am a nanny to a 2 year old and a mother to a 3 year old and would like to begin homeschooling a preschool curriculum to the girls. I am also in charge of a newborn and would like something that is all inclusive and easy to use with little preparation. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would particularly like it to be Bible based with a good emphasis on early childhood learning topics. Thanks in advance!

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:17 pm

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Jazzy
User

Postby Jazzy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:51 pm

I really agree with the above poster. 2 and 3 year olds learn so much during the course of daily life. Free play, "helping" with chores and errands, nature walks, trips to the library, etc. No formal curriculum is necssary.

Here are some great ideas for easy activities you can do with preschoolers:
Homeschooling Preschool

Letter of the week has a free curriculum for that age group:
http://www.letteroftheweek.com/

The other program I would suggest you look at is Before Five in a Row:
http://www.fiarhq.com

Kumon also has some great workbooks for young preschoolers.

Good luck!

tsmama24
User

Postby tsmama24 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:33 pm

easyhomeschooling
User

Best Ideas for Schooling Young Kids

Postby easyhomeschooling » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:57 am

Do a lot of reading aloud. As they are able, let them tell back the stories. This is all so simple and yet so valuable for this age group! They learn English skills of all sorts.
Lorraine Curry
FREE homeschooling ebooks, copywork and more!
http://www.easyhomeschooling.com

judyh
User

bible characters coloring

Postby judyh » Wed May 13, 2009 12:26 am

At this young age, i don't think the kids will need any formal homeschool curriculum. Besides free play, one way that i introduced bible-based teachings is to read them a picture bible story before bedtime.

If you are attending a local church in your area, one possibility is to reuse the sunday school materials and re-enforce what they had learned in church. I usually go through the materials with my 3 year old and it always conclude with a coloring work of the bible characters.
Here is one resource that you can use online and have fun with them.
You can do the coloring while introducing the bible characters in a fun way.
http://www.first-school.ws/online_color ... index.html

have fun :)
judy

Enjoying homebound education and homeschool curriculum with my 4 year old dd
Attending Parenting Classes helps me as a homeschool mum

kgianforti
User

Postby kgianforti » Wed May 13, 2009 2:52 pm

Since this is an old post, we'd love to hear what you used.

I think a formal education is fine for a 3 year old as long as they are willing and eager to do it. I started a formal homeschool setting with my daughter when she was about 2.5 after I opened a pack of flashcards and she knew everything on them, including stuff I didn't teach her. Now she is almost 3 and is learning at a Kindergarten level. Right now we are doing "pre-preschool" ending in May. Then in Sept for regular preschool (she will be almost 3.5), we are using Horizons Preschool by Alpha Omega.

We are also doing a lot of science projects. We did an egg carton seed project, grew butterflies, we are currently doing a galaxy project. The next project is a Dora weather station.

We also have two memory verses each month.

She is eager and loves going to school. She asks for extra worksheets and tracing sheets too. Our time is anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour, depending on how long the baby sleeps - she would go longer if the baby slept longer!

I know many parents think that everyday play is all kids need and I agree it's very important (she takes part in practically everything I do from cleaning to baking to taking care of the baby). But if a child strives on academics, then go ahead and do something formally.

JoshCHS
User

Postby JoshCHS » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:15 am

One thing that I like about Horizons PK is that allows you to choose between an activity based program or a workbook based program. The teacher's guide has suggestions for activities, while the student workbooks contains plenty of lessons to keep your student busy (180 lessons). One nice feature is the daily Bible lesson found in the teacher's guide.

Here is the scope & sequence:
http://www.christianhomeschoolstore.com ... quence.php
p. 4 for PK
Josh
www.christianhomeschoolstore.com
Christian curriculum -- discounted prices

judyh
User

Using Flashcards as part of our homeschool curriculum

Postby judyh » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:36 pm

I am a mother of a 4 yr and a 2 yr old. When my older kid was 1 yr, we did baby signing with her, in addition to the usual homeschool curriculum which include reading bible stories to her regularly, listening to audio CDs using Zoo Phonics, etc.

Now that my older kid is 4, we've found out from various sources that kids at this young age (under 3) should develop their right brian as much as possible. My younger girl is now 2 and we are doing flash cards with her daily. The results are rather impressive and she seems to be able to absorb whatever we are teaching her.

If you like, you may want to also try out flashing cards based on bible pictures and characters. I printed out some bible-based keyword (in red) and laminated them. You may like to try this method as part of your homeschool lesson plan for your young kids :)

Oh..i forgot the baby signing part..that works wonderfully well too.
The kids simply love it and we did observed benefits such as an increase in speech development and responsiveness.
judy

Enjoying homebound education and homeschool curriculum with my 4 year old dd

Attending Parenting Classes helps me as a homeschool mum

luvtolearn
User

Everything can be preschool

Postby luvtolearn » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:01 pm

Learning can be so much a part of everything you do. As you go for a walk, point out different colors and shapes. Work on listening skills by trying to hear sounds around you. Play clapping pattern games. There are so many fun early learning skills that can be naturally incorporated into playing and everyday activities.

Darlin77
User

Postby Darlin77 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:10 pm

Get free, done for you, lesson plans at
http://www.instantpreschoollessons.com

HomeGrownFamilies
User

Postby HomeGrownFamilies » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:45 pm

I agree with past posters, I wouldnt buy a curriculum at this age. There is so much stuff available for that age thats free. Visit museums, libraries, gardens, story times etc for some great education.
Melissa- homeschool mom to 3 little ones.
Check out our homeschool blog for preschool ideas! www.homegrownfamilies.blogspot.com

spinky
User

Postby spinky » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:32 am

Agree with those who say we should not worry about curriculum at this stage. There is so much you can expose them too. They are so curious about new things, it is better to feed their curiosity instead of stifling it with some topics.
Anything they do, they are learning. Our job is to provide opportunities.

Shalu
http://spinningmemories.blogspot.com

littlemillennium
User

Postby littlemillennium » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:58 am

I was in the same situation 2 years back. That time my friend recommended me one site. I'm sharing that website with you. Hope it will like you and will help you to.
http://www.idealcurriculum.com

Return to “Preschool and Readiness”