keeping those preschoolers busy

Preschool readiness skills (birth to age 5) and the common developmental concerns of young children.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

mommyto2girls
User

keeping those preschoolers busy

Postby mommyto2girls » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:49 pm

Jazzy
User

Postby Jazzy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:33 pm

Here are some of our favorite preschool activities.

Other than that we do some simple workbooks, read aloud, and I try to involve the children in my day. They help me cook, clean, fold laundry, etc. I like to get them outdoors, so we may take walks or roller blade. If it's cold out we will go play basketball or soccer at a local gym.

We do alot of art projects. I used to freak out about the mess, but now I think they are fun. Leave lots of interesting materials around. Setting up centers like you said you did in your other post is a great idea.

I also have a one year old so that keeps the older 2 busy. Having a baby around keeps everyone occupied, lol!

southmomof2
User

Postby southmomof2 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:40 pm

We pretty much have a weekly schedule,

Monday & Tuesday mornings are library time(story time is done by the librarian on both days)

Wed and Thur we do simple work sheets that teach tracing and etc then free/simple structured play for the rest of the day, Thursday afternoon is 45mins of "gymnastics" at a center with other girls her age.

Friday we go to Grandma's which usually involves something REALLY cool she gets to do with her

clivetaylor
User

Postby clivetaylor » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:53 am

You can involve the preschooler in different extracurricular activities like painting, pottery, gardening and also could help you cook.

Tashathomson
User

Postby Tashathomson » Mon May 07, 2012 8:56 am

littlemillennium
User

Postby littlemillennium » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:18 am

mindy8
User

Thanks

Postby mindy8 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:53 pm

thank you so much for sharing the site. We do a weekly preschool class with friends and I am always looking for fun tings to do.

Mindy

Mattandavid
User

Postby Mattandavid » Thu May 23, 2013 8:17 pm

Hi, kinda new here
I'm a single mom of a 3.5 yr old and am aware of the fact that technology has changed a lot in our society, and that it is becoming increasingly important to get training/education in subjects related to computers.

As a result, I've exposed her to computers/Ipads at an early age. On long road trips or sometimes even at home when I need a moment to do some laudry or dishes, I give her the computer and she plays educational games

I haven't focused all that much on her handwriting or tracing since I assume that most of her school papers while growing up and eventually her career will involve working off a computer keyboard?

I'm also not focusing too much on arts and crafts. Is this wrong?
I figure she will get some of it here and there, but that I wont waste my time with a lot of those types of things.

thoughts?

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Sat May 25, 2013 5:03 pm

Hi! My youngest is 5.5 and in regard to the things you mentioned, this is what I did with her.

She was exposed to computers all her life and iPad the past year or two. I try to limit how much she uses them as toys, though, and encourage her to play with 3-D objects IRL, be outdoors in nature, be in touch with other human beings of all ages and sizes, etc.

I started teaching her the very beginnings of handwriting when she was almost 4. She can now write the whole alphabet and numerals 0-9, but this is a fairly recent development--since her 5th b-day. I consider it very important that children learn to write beautifully in both manuscript printing and cursive before I allow them to start typing their school assignments. That's my personal, old-fashioned opinion.

I started helping her do a craft project once every week or two about the same time I started teaching her to print letters. (We worked on letters for 5 minutes a day or so 1 or 2 days a week.)

I don't think arts and crafts are a waste of time, but I don't think they need to be pushed as much as I've seen some people push them. Children need to be children. They need to play. Play is the work of childhood.

I did hear an impressive lecture one time that said never to teach a child to use scissors until after handedness is well established--at whatever age that happens.

HTH,
Ramona

Return to “Preschool and Readiness”