3 year old 'geek'

Preschool readiness skills (birth to age 5) and the common developmental concerns of young children.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

jacky
User

3 year old 'geek'

Postby jacky » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:27 pm

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:41 pm

Regardless of how much he's picking up now, I would be extremely hesitant to add formal curriculum to a 3yo's day. This is the age when exploration is more important - get a set of cuisenaire rods, a base ten set, sudoku, an abacus, pizza fractions, and let him learn and discover at his own pace in these early years. Same with science. Go with his cues - if he asks for it, offer it. Stevespanglerscience.com has plenty of fun experiment things for all ages and stages.

It's not a race, just a journey that we never want to be burned out on.
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

memmerrill
User

Postby memmerrill » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:10 am

We haven't used it yet, because my daughter isn't ready for it, but I have looked into Miquon Math for the early grades. It has a laboratory approach to math and seems like something that your son may be interested in. It works with the Cuisenare Rods. This is the company that produces it: http://www.keypress.com/x6252.xml It's worth looking in to.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:21 pm

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Mathmom
User

Postby Mathmom » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:25 am

If you can get a copy of John Holt's book, The Way Children Learn, get it and read it.
My ds who is now just turning 10 yrs old, learned to read when he was 2-1/2. We did not purchase or need any formal curriculum. We went to the book store and let him pick out math books he wanted to read; we bought some manipulatives(sample sets for teachers from the science surplus store), and let him play with them.
Now he is excelling in math and physics. He is reading all adult level books now. Except, he loves Theoni Pappas' books, especially The Adventures of Penrose the Mathematical Cat which introduces concepts not found in elementary school children, usually.
Just follow his interests and see how that goes.

Kim in IL

Jazzy
User

Postby Jazzy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:32 am

I agree that you should hold off on formal curriculum at that age. He seems to be learning just fine without one.

I would recommend you looking into purchasing some science books from Usborne.

We aren't doing a formal science curriculum, so I have these books on hand for my son to explore. He really likes the experiment type books like "Science in the Kitchen". He also really enjoys the Usborne Book of Knowledge. Some of the science books are internet linked, which means each page has info that will lead you to internet resources for further study.

Anyway, good luck finding resources for him. You have a very bright boy on your hands!

memmerrill
User

Postby memmerrill » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:20 am

momo3boys, what age were your children when you began using Miquon with them?

Return to “Preschool and Readiness”