Poll: High school - aged kids in coop study groups?

Since surveys keep getting posted, here is a place to put them.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Does your high school aged student meet with others in coops or study groups as part of his/her Math program?

A) yes, very often . . . once a week
No votes
B) yes, occasionally . . . several times a month
No votes
C) Yes, but just with an occasional guest speaker / teacher
No votes

Total votes: 0

terryv
User

Poll: High school - aged kids in coop study groups?

Postby terryv » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:32 am

I am curious how many home school families that have high school age kids try to get together regularly to form study groups. Where I am originally from (Washington state), home school families are required by law to meet a few hours a week with "certified" teachers and to check in with the local school districts. If guided to, please answer my poll about how many of you do form study groups, and/or how many of you want to be able to study similar topics and deal with issues related to what you are experiencing in your curriculum (especially Math). Thanks for your input! Terry
Terry VanNoy is a 28-year Math and English classroom teacher. Originally from Washington state, he has recently moved to Connecticut and started an online classroom.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:13 pm

This is something a few of us did for community college. However, it's usually more efficient (if not necessarily as much fun) to study on your own, outside of some subjects such as languages, or whatever you have a lot of trouble understanding on your own. I view study groups as more recreation than a study aid, for the most part (I enjoy explaining things)

EDIT: Sorry, your original question was about math. I don't think any of us ever did study groups for that, it's not terribly well-suited to phone or teleconferencing, and even in person it's probably not the best thing to study outside of groups of 2-3 people, given the wide variations in how fast people can pick up formulas and diagrams and so on. We did, however, take some Calculus courses at the local community college.

Return to “Homeschool Surveys”