Bullying and homeschoolers, stories, how did you handle it?

Since surveys keep getting posted, here is a place to put them.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

greenparent
User

Bullying and homeschoolers, stories, how did you handle it?

Postby greenparent » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:28 pm

We hear a lot about bullying these days in the mainstream media. Some parents, I've read, feel that this is a normal part of life when children enter school or school age. Do you think that's a true statement? Has your family or child experienced bullying from another homeschooler, or a child (children) in the neighborhood? How did you and/or your child handle it? While it's good that bullying is acknowledged as a problem, do you think most of the attention being given bullying in conventional school settings is just lip service? What can be done to prevent children from this negative behavior from the start?

Instructor
User

Bullies

Postby Instructor » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:15 am

Bullying is very prevalent in the public school system and my experience thus far is that they don't really have any satisfactory mechanism in place to deal with it.

My child reported a case of bullying to the teacher and the teaching assistant which is what they've been told to do. And they essentially just blew off the whole event.

Home school is far superior in this respect because you can decide who your child socializes with. Whereas the school is going to pretty much shove them all into a room whether they get along or not.

We've found martial arts training to be highly effective. Not that we encourage our child to hurt the bully. But our child has become stronger and more confident and thus the bullies tend to find somebody else to pick on. Bullies are attracted to weaker children or what they perceive to be a weaker child, when faced with strength they often keep shopping.
www.dunamistao.com Fun family friendly martial arts you can do at home.

L Kelly
User

Self-Defense: Which Self?

Postby L Kelly » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:04 pm

Return to “Homeschool Surveys”