questions about rural libraries and homeschoolers

Since surveys keep getting posted, here is a place to put them.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

emm2424
User

questions about rural libraries and homeschoolers

Postby emm2424 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:54 am

Miss_Kristy
User

Postby Miss_Kristy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:51 pm

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:56 pm

Our library put together kits to go with popular children's books. They're wonderful - each one has activity sheets and directions in a plastic bag along with the book in a canvas tote. It's a great starting point for parents.

One thing I would like to see in more libraries are the childhood education books (most of the 370-372s) and the parenting books moved to the children's area. We don't always have time to look for books for ourselves, and it's a bit daunting when trying to take young children away from the cheerful children's section to the adult section. They squirm and fuss and we end up harried and frustrated. Having even just a rotating display of a few parenting/education books in the children's section would make a difference!

Our library also tends to have major programs (Seussathon, Pawsitive Reading) go on all day, but I'd love to see some multi-age presentations at lunchtime that the adults and children could enjoy. Granted, most libraries don't get enough traffic during the day, but if you did then something like presentations from local museums or storytellers from the area would make a difference. Even getting the highschoolers involved in coming to tell stories or put on a storytelling workshop once a year, offering a games club, or some such thing would be nice.

One more thing - if there's a jr. friends program, I'm sure many homeschoolers would enjoy signing up for it. They would be able to volunteer their hours during the week, as opposed to weekend or summer only.
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

Teatime
User

Rural libraries

Postby Teatime » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:13 pm

New to homeschooling
Old to parenting and marriage

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:38 am

My favorite things that I've seen in the small libraries:

Suitcases full of subjects- Weather, seasons, plants, with books maybe a few puzzles and other activities in them.

Really stress the Interlibrary Loan Program if you have it. Borrowing books from other libraries is so much easier, and just like Christmas!

Special programs for older children during the week. Art activities, (learn and imitate certain artists) Special music programs....Science..organizing walks and having books out about natural history.

I hope this helps. Libraries are such a great help to homeschoolers thank you for being so willing to help.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Jill
User

Postby Jill » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:05 am

Jill

Kate42
User

Postby Kate42 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:03 am

I actually bypass our local library and request books through my mom at a city library because I'm afraid I would be overtaxing our local librarians with our interlibrary loan requests. If you want to be helpful to homeschoolers, be truly willing to do interlibrary loans (or be honest and clear about what is too much trouble).

Our local library has a 4 book per person limit that they waive for homeschoolers. Really appreciate that!

Return to “Homeschool Surveys”