Need Help with Reading

Phonics, reading, writing, spelling, grammar, vocabulary, and more!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

mhunter2009
User

Need Help with Reading

Postby mhunter2009 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:10 pm

Amanda Hunter
Mommy to Two

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:39 pm

Your son sounds very smart for his age. I think he is quite young to be expected to know how to read already. Some children do learn how to read at age 4 but he is a very young 4 year old. And most children don't learn until age 5 or 6. He probably isn't ready just yet.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things. You are reading to him and he enjoys it. That's the most important thing! I would just keep reading the words to him for as long as you need to.

You can teach him to recognize all his letters and the sound that each letter makes. Then you can start on blending 2 letter sounds together; then simple short words. BUT if he is not ready, he won't be able to do blends or short words. That's okay! I would not push him. There is no hurry! He has plenty of time.

Like I said, you are doing all the right things. He might like a website called Starfall.

http://www.starfall.com/

Best wishes.

mhunter2009
User

Postby mhunter2009 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:04 pm

Thank you very much for your help! I feel much better about, what I felt was, cheating now LOL I was a little afraid that they were expecting to much of him right now with that but they're doing things so differently since I was a tutor many years ago. He can already do the sounds of the letters and he can recognize all the letters which I am very proud of. To get him more interested in how letters are used I have made a Windows Live Messenger account for him to talk to family such as his Nana, Papa, Aunt or Mommy and Daddy when he's at Nana and Papa's I'm hoping that helps him get interested in how the words go together as well but only time will tell. I try not to push him but he also doesn't like to sit down and do the work either. I think that's mostly because he's just learning the computer so it's difficult for him. So I try to find other ways to make it more interesting as well.
Amanda Hunter

Mommy to Two

RaysHomeschool
User

Postby RaysHomeschool » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:51 am

We had the exact same problem. We are using the Alpha-Phonics primer for our 4 year old right now and he is really getting it, he wasn't until we started using the primer. Our 8 yo also refused to read even though she could. Surprisingly enough once we introduced her to non-fiction books about a topic she loved (horses), she starting reading all the time!
Visit www.RaysHomeschool.com for tips, tricks, advice, and a look into the life of a homeschooling family.

lector1
User

A vote for Alpha-Phonics

Postby lector1 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:26 pm

I posted this on another thread and I think it is just as appropriate here.

I love using the Alpha-Phonics Reading program for my three children. My eleven year old twins are now both avid readers, even though they each learned to read at different ages. My five year old son is now learning to read through Alpha -Phonics and is doing well. Along with the Alpha-Phonics, we incorporated the McGuffey Readers and the Classic Curriculum Reading and Writing workbooks.

This has been especially nice since it has simplified my teaching and because it also allows my children to work independently for most of their study time.

romacox
User

Postby romacox » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:32 am

Trust your instincts. Mothers just know when the curriculum is not just right for their child. Before choosing any curriculum there are three important steps.

1. Know your State Laws. Unfortunately some States mandate curriculum to Home Educators just like they do to teachers. It is important to know if your State is one of them before spending any money on something your State won't allow.

If your State does mandate the wrong curriculum for your child...not to worry: one can always supplement.

2. Understanding your child's learning style is essential in making the right match.

3. Home Educators have many choices that are not available in public Schools which makes the opportunity for a match much greater, but also more confusing.

Here is an article that will get you well started on all three of the above. You might even end up creating much of your own curriculum...many do.

http://educatorssite.com/?p=718

Tanikit
User

Postby Tanikit » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:13 am

My DD turned 4 in September and I have started a phonics programme with her. I get her to sound out only 4 words at a time and we do this twice a day. It takes almost no time and she is getting it however she does also already know some sight words so can read some basic things. Like your son she is not keen to read out loud to me and wants me to keep reading to her as she enjoys books that are more advanced than the ones she can read. I therefore insist on the phonics words each day and if we are reading an easy reader I will get her to read a few sentences to me and I read the rest. Gradually I will increase what I expect from her as with her it is also a matter of finding things she likes - I know she has read to other people when I am not there out of books she choose herself.

You can also try pointing out words/letters and blending in places he does not associate with reading - such as in the grocery store or on posters when you go for a walk so that it is not all table "work."

Return to “Reading, Writing, Language Arts”