Free phonics program

Phonics, reading, writing, spelling, grammar, vocabulary, and more!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Kris Murphy
User

Free phonics program

Postby Kris Murphy » Fri May 20, 2011 11:47 pm

I have created free phonics lessons with awesome clip art which I bought from clipart.com for you to download or print for your children. Here is my main phonics page:
http://www.homeschooling-paradise.com/phonics.html

I hope you like it. :D

But how do we teach our kids to read? Here is how I taught my adorable twins (a boy and a girl).

I taught my children how to read using the world-word approach first by making them read aloud from a reading scheme. Later on, when they could read about 100 words, I introduced phonics but informally. I still continued with the whole-word approach. I never stopped using this approach right up to the end because it worked wonderfully.

Now, my twins are 9 years old and they have finished the Harry Potter series, the Chronicles of Narnia series and hundreds of other books. I reserve 3 hours a day every day for their reading time. Believe it or not, they are devouring more than 20 books a month - and they love it. They are better off reading than wasting their time watching TV or playing computer games. I borrow their books from a local library or I would have gone bankrupt by now!

The key to learning how to read, I found out, was consistency. When I was teaching my kids how to read I made them read at least 1 to 2 hours day. Now that they are proficient readers, I still make them read but on their own.

A combination of the phonics method with the whole-word approach is the best, I feel. A child can't be a very good reader if she has only learned one approach. Just think about how you read - adults can sight-read thousands if not tens of thousands of words. We rarely use the phonics approach when we read. If we were to do that, it would take us way too long just to read one sentence. Tr-y r-ea-d-i-ng th--i-s s-e-nt-e-n-c-e u-s-i-ng th-e ph-o-n-i-c-s m-e-th-o-d a-nd y-ou w-ou-ld g-o cr-a-z-y!

I have written more about it in an article in my website:
http://www.homeschooling-paradise.com/t ... ading.html

That doesn't mean that phonics is wrong. It is also very useful but only in combination with the whole-word approach.

If your child has trouble learning how to read no matter what method you try, it is best to consult a psychologist. Possibly, she may be having some problems that we don't know. It is best to discover her problem as early as possible because a child's brain is plastic (in other words, flexible). She will be able to overcome her difficulty with the right approach provided by the psychologist.

I wish you and your little angels Happy Reading! :D
Kris Murphy
Just doing my part!

Kris Murphy
http://www.homeschooling-paradise.com

Return to “Reading, Writing, Language Arts”