Instrument options for a 6 year old

The arts are sometimes overlooked, but they're a valuable part of culture and history.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:14 pm

I'm toying with giving my son the option to start learning an instrument to play (aside from the recorder we are learning for our music curriculum). He's expressed passing interest in playing the violin, but since I know virtually nothing about the violin or how to play it, I don't know if it's even a good choice for a first time budding musician.

I played the flute, piccolo, clarinet, bass clarinet and some piano when I was in school though I'd be amazed if I can still get a decent note out of any of them. We don't have room in our house for a piano and I'm not really into keyboards so I don't think the piano is an option. Grandma has a piano at her house and the knowledge to teach it to my son if he so chooses - and since he's there regularly, he's got a decent shot at progressing at a decent pace as well, so I'd like to choose something different for at home.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance.
To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:46 pm

Keyboards aren't that awful - you can buy a size that's good for his fingers, and it won't be too expensive. Given, the sound won't be as good as with a real piano, but it's still useful for practice. You can buy models that give louder or softer sounds depending on how hard you press the keys.

Both my sisters practice with a keyboard at home.

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:52 am

I personally think that if he wants to try let him, he may love it, he may not. I started violin when I was 7 with just private lessons. My mom let me pick out the instrument of my choice and once I got started I never quit. I still play and now am teaching my own children and give lessons in my area.

As far as not knowing anything about the violin, neither did my mom. In fact she still doesn't! Memorization of where to place the fingers for what note is what I find most people struggle with, while technique (how to hold it, bowing, ect.) is usually not such a problem. There are however ways to help students with these problems you would just need to find a teacher in your area to show you. As long as you can read the treble clef, and once you know the basics, it shouldn't be to hard for you to learn with your son. Like all instruments it just takes practice. Personally I found that overall Suzuki has worked best with my students in the past. There are also some good DVD instructional videos out there; however, you may find that you still need a person to ask questions or give you general help right at first.

Good Luck with whatever instrument you decide to go with!

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:12 pm

Personally, I've always wanted to play the violin so if that is what he chooses, I will very seriously consider taking it up with him because I know I won't do it on my own. That will probably make private lessons more cost effective with both of us taking them vs. my son just taking them by himself. Plus we can practice together. :D
To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

Ramona
User

Re: Instrument options for a 6 year old

Postby Ramona » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:13 pm

I was always told violin is an excellent choice for young instrumental beginners. I started in 4th grade at age 9. Suzuki starts teaching kids by rote when they're very small, not yet reading. They make tiny violins--I think 15th-size and maybe smaller.

Ramona

Mark

Postby Mark » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:32 pm

twiggybumble
User

Postby twiggybumble » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:39 am

I would have to agree with some posters that keyboards aren't necessarily a bad choice. I have an electric piano, and it was fashioned to look like a real wooden piano. It also uses sounds sampled from actual instruments, so it is authentic in reverberation. My favorite feature, however, is the option to use the keys as you would on a real piano, with harder strikes producing louder tones. It doesn't have percussion and ten thousand instrument choices and fancy lights, but I am not into that sort of thing anyway.

As far as violins go, my husband plays violin, and I have picked it up a few times and actually carried my own silly tunes. The finger placements aren't nearly as complicated as with a guitar, IMHO.

My ten year old is learning guitar, very slowly, at his own pace. If you do choose a guitar, I would suggest nylon strings, which are much softer on the fingers and easier for beginners. They produce a different sound than your standard acoustic strings, its something akin to classical guitar.

If you would like any more info on my part, just let me know. And good luck to you!

jacky
User

Postby jacky » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:38 pm

ThatGirlWithGlasses
User

Postby ThatGirlWithGlasses » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:26 pm

I am 17 and I started playing the violin three years ago. My cousin ( who was 16 or 15 and was just taking lessons herself) taught me to play with a few stuttering lessons. I taught myself the rest of that I know and I only just started taking lessons in town.
I love the violin. My parents claim they love the way I sound on it ( but they could be trying to make me feel better), but I warn anyone intent on playing the violin or teaching anyone to play the violin: a well played violin is a gift to the World a poorly played violin is a gift to no one. And I mean it. I am sure that at first ( and at times now) I sounded more like a sick alley cat then a musican in any right. But if your kid shows real interest in it and is willing to tog on even when he sounds awfull ( and I am sorry but at some piont he probably will) then buying the kid a 40 doller violin for him to practice on and getting him a few lessons isn't much for teaching him dedication to an instrument. Music helped me get though some of the harder times of my teenhood. Plus it opened up the doors to the recorder, the piano. the chanter ( bag pippes without bags), and several other instuments I can putter at.

Jakk
User

Postby Jakk » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:27 pm

My 6 yr old DD wants to learn how to play hand bells. She had seen them being played in Church. I found a cute set on Amazon and they come with color coded lesson cards. She hasn't started playing them yet but they do not seem like they will be that difficult for her to play.

heartsease
User

Postby heartsease » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:01 am

heartsease

tanyaviola
User

Postby tanyaviola » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:34 pm

Both violin and piano seem to be very popular for young children. And they can learn to play them well, even if they are complicated. With piano, you don't need to worry about finding the right pitch :) On the other hand, pianos are much more expensive than violins (or violas!!). But if you already have one, even an upright piano, perhaps that's the way to go. But if you, as a parent, also want to learn violin at the same time....even better! So long as you have a teacher willing to teach you both at the same time.
Please visit our website for online music lessons via Skype: http://www.violaduo.com

heartsease
User

Postby heartsease » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:44 am

There are many instruments suitable for a 6 year old. I have written a detailed analysis of temperament, physique, intelligence needed for each with guidelines on expense and portability. See my blog at http://www.musicinpractice.com/2011/choose-the-perfect-instrument-for-your-child-by-analysing-temperament-physique-intelligence-initial-expense-and-transport/
heartsease

valerickson
User

Postby valerickson » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:54 pm

As a others have stated in this post, there are several great instruments for kids to learn on. I've always been partial to the piano, myself. It's a great building block for all other instruments because it allows your child to visualize the notes with the white and black keys. This isn't as apparent with other instruments like the violin. Obviously, kids can learn any instrument, so it's really just preference.

As far as the physical characteristics of different instruments go, there are several great options for kids. Like many have said, you can get smaller keyboard instead of a piano. Personally, this doesn't matter that much to me. I think a 6 year old can learn on a full sized piano just fine. They won't be playing 7-10 note chords for a while, so it stretch isn't much of an issue.

There are several companies that make instruments specifically for kids though. You can get child sized violins or kids guitars that are smaller in nature and will be easier to play. Honestly, I think it really comes down to what your child is interested in and what you are willing to listen to them learn on. :)
"Music helps kids learn. Students in music programs, guitar lessons, or bands have a 25% higher graduation rate." - NAMM Foundation

fiford
User

Postby fiford » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:52 am

As someone who has experience of teaching themselves an instrument, take it from me, the keyboard is a much better option than the violin.
Our dog heads for the back door as soon as I pick up my case.

The absolute beauty of the keyboard is that you can plug headphones into it and your little Mozart can bash away as loudly as he likes and you can enjoy the perfect peace and quiet, then remove the headphones and listen to him when you can cope with the sore head.

I play several instruments and find the violin by far the hardest to play well.

The tin whistle (you might call it penny whistle?) is a brilliant starter instrument and much easier on the ears than the recorder too.

I think it's all about finding a balance between producing a musical maestro and keeping your sanity!

I work for alison.com and they have fantastic traditional Irish music courses with lessons in singing, guitar, fiddle, tin whistle, flute, concertina, button accordion and the Irish drum, the bodhran. They are all taught by top musicians and are completely free to learn.
I don't want that to be a commercial plug - they just are great courses and cost you nothing.

Return to “Music / Art”