Good Art curriculum?

The arts are sometimes overlooked, but they're a valuable part of culture and history.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Calla_Dragon
User

Good Art curriculum?

Postby Calla_Dragon » Tue May 15, 2007 9:30 am

Anyone have any recommendations for a good art curriculum? We already do crafts, but I'm looking for something that goes over artistic concepts - line types, color, style, whatever other artistic concepts there are (I'm not an artist....). I'm using Kindergarten Art now and not thrilled with it.

Thanks in advance!
To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

keptwoman
User

Postby keptwoman » Tue May 15, 2007 5:41 pm

We have just started using Artistic Pursuits, it is on loan from a friend who used it very successfully with her kids, and so far it looks really good and DS is enjoying it.

www.artisticpursuits.com
Sandra, Homeschooling Mum in Australia

Violet
User

Postby Violet » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:22 pm

How Great Thou Art also comes with many glowing recommendations. I'm going to be using that in our K year coming up in Sept.
Wife of my best friend, Mom to two precious preschoolers, one precious newborn and one precious memory
~I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way...I will walk in my house with a perfect heart. Ps. 101:2~

Ramona
User

Re: Good Art curriculum?

Postby Ramona » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:04 pm

I like Charlotte Mason's approach to art quite well.

I bought a book called Drawing for Older Children & Teens: A Creative Method for Adult Beginners, Too by Mona Brookes. She also wrote one called Drawing with Children. I think her approach is really good.

Ramona

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:26 pm

To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

kathy sullivan
User

artist and art therapy

Postby kathy sullivan » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:08 pm

Hi.My name is Kathy Sullivan.I am an art therapist (MAAT) and a successful artist. I was contacted by parents who were homeschooling their kids-asking me to come and do workshops. I joined this website to get feedback to what the needs are of homeschoolers and their parents. Any thoughts? thanks!

Ramona
User

Re: artist and art therapy

Postby Ramona » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:34 pm

Very simple, basic, step-by-step instruction starting with interesting exercises. Encouragement to copy Old Masters. Down-to-earth practice in techniques rather than "explore-your feelings" kind of vague stuff.

Ramona

kathy sullivan
User

Postby kathy sullivan » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:39 pm

Actually art therapy isn't about "exploring your feelings". It's true definition is: using art as a facilitator for speech. HOWEVER- Its most powerful use is as a diagnostic tool and to evaluate whether your child's graphic development is at an average level. There are significant detriments inherent in art education during the developmental years: ie. impairment to sense of creativity due to the theory of "end results".

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:21 pm

Oh, I didn't in any way mean to imply that art therapy is about exploring feelings. I was just talking about 2 different approaches to general art lessons that I've run across in my years as a home educator. I didn't have any idea what you meant by art therapy.

I don't believe that teaching children the correct way to do a thing impairs their sense of creativity. I think it gives them tools with which to be creative.

JME,
Ramona

kathy sullivan
User

Postby kathy sullivan » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:33 pm

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:48 am

I guess it all boils down to the question - is your art for you or for the viewer? If the former, you can make the most horrible mess in the world and still feel good about it (that's art therapy), but if the latter, you better learn some actual art techniques, so people will be able to understand what you're trying to convey.

Personally, I can tell that Picasso's paintings are art, but I like Dali and Monet better, and I much prefer Renaissance artists such as Michelangelo and Raphael. It's ok to let your creativity run free, but if what you come up with doesn't communicate well to your viewers, it's time to either learn some art techniques, or to switch to something you're better at. Writers have to work hard at improving their craft, painters and sculptors shouldn't be immune.

kathy sullivan
User

Postby kathy sullivan » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:25 pm

wow.a lot to prove.

nellie
User

Postby nellie » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:16 pm

Have you taken a look at Artistic Pursuits? or Art with a Purpose and
Art Adventures at Home.

WishboneDawn
User

Postby WishboneDawn » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:20 am

We're using GeeART 16 with my daughter. Fantastic online course with 16 lessons and offline projects. You can try a sample lessonhere. You also get a license for Corel Painter Essentials, a really great little digital art program.

I had looked it it for awhile but finally subscribed this fall because they've dropped the price and it's only about $30 for a years access.

At least try out the sample lesson!

knobren
User

Postby knobren » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:59 am

Return to “Music / Art”