Music lessons and classes for homeschooling families

The arts are sometimes overlooked, but they're a valuable part of culture and history.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

suzie
User

Music lessons and classes for homeschooling families

Postby suzie » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:37 am

mdsmomct
User

Postby mdsmomct » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:08 am

suzie
User

Postby suzie » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:17 am

Mark

Postby Mark » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:20 pm

angw8
User

Postby angw8 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:53 pm

Ang

Higher than the highest human thought can reach is God's ideal for His children. ...

milehimom
User

Postby milehimom » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:33 pm

I was thinking the same thing, but I'd like you to move to Colorado and teach music to my children! I've actually been thinking that I'll bet there is someone just like you somewhere in my neighborhood, she just doesn't know who she is yet??

I'm thinking about sending out a flyer or putting a notice in our HOA newsletter asking if there is anyone passionate about music that would like to start three beginners whose hours are totally flexible since we homeschool! It seems like it would be ther perfect job for a college student, stay at home mom or retiree with musical talent! I'm gonna try and I'll let you all know if I find someone!
milehimom
Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.

Mark

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:50 am

Gumby
User

Postby Gumby » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:22 pm

Sorry about my reply being a little late but I just found this site.
That is a great idea! I am in a HS band and I love it! I also hope to start a Music program someday.
Here's my advice:
1. Stick with it. When I started playing in the band there was only one class in one location and there were maybe 6 familys and we just performed at retierment homes. Now, 6 years later there are 8 classes in 3 locations and over 100 familys. We have been on TV, marched in parades, and are the official band of the city of Orange . You may feel like you aren't making any progress but wait a few years and it will grow.
2. Teach groups, i.e. not just private string lessons but a whole string ensamble. See if you can find someone to teach brass and maybe try to teach orchestra. Many HS kids play instruments but very few have the opportunity to play in a group.
3. Keep it cheep! The few other people that I know of that tried to start a HS bands programm tried to make to much of a profit to fast and nobody could afford the program so therfore nobody was in it.
4. Enlist help. Ask other parents to help with things i.e. finding perfomance oppertunitys (even if it's at a retirment home) or fund raising
youd be surprised at some peopls hidden talents!
I hope that helped some.

frogguruami
User

Postby frogguruami » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:12 pm

AM, homeschooling mom to Drake and Kyllian
www.seilerclan.info

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:33 am

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:29 pm

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:39 pm

I was thinking band. Brain freeze!

My youngest two sisters both take piano lessons, their music teacher isn't having any problems with them :)

LearningEveryDay
User

Love Getting Home School Families as Piano Students!

Postby LearningEveryDay » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:39 am

I love having 2 or more students in the same family come for lessons at the same time, because some can work on theory or history or composition etc while I teach one at the piano. Also, this set-up provides perfect opportunities for piano duets (4-hands/one piano), piano trios (6-hands/one piano), and two-piano repertoire. I also love to get home-schoolers because I can start teaching them (and adults) earlier in the day, then get other kids when they get out of school.

As a secondary-ed home-school-tutor and higher-ed professor, home school students have Always been my best students in every way.
All my life I've wakened every morning excited about what I'll experience & learn that day. My blog is about anything I learn on any subject. I hope you will enjoy exploring this path with me. http://whatdidyoulearntoday-everyday.blogspot.com

tanyaviola
User

Postby tanyaviola » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:29 pm

This is wonderful! There ARE homeschooling parents that are interested in private music lessons. We were wondering about that. We're not too familiar with homeschooling, but I think it would be a perfect match, since we teach online. We offer private music lessons via Skype, even during daytime hours.

Even to Australia and Colorado! In fact, we currently have a student in Australia. What a concept!

If anyone is interested, please feel free to visit our website and contact us about online lessons for your children (ages 8 & up).

Look forward to hearing from you,
Tanya
Please visit our website for online music lessons via Skype: http://www.violaduo.com

toddler20
User

Postby toddler20 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:54 pm

Suzie it's great that you are starting music art classes. Kids love entertainment more than anything so I suggest that you should mix some fun activities with your lessons so that kids can easily learn what ever you explain to them.

Return to “Music / Art”