Music In Home Schools

The arts are sometimes overlooked, but they're a valuable part of culture and history.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

tanyaviola
User

Postby tanyaviola » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:38 pm

Almost the same thing as a music teacher coming to your house: an online music teacher! That way, you're there to help the other siblings while the one is at the computer taking a lesson. No need to drive anywhere! These days there are more and more music teachers teaching online.
Please visit our website for online music lessons via Skype: http://www.violaduo.com

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:39 am

Don't really think music is one of those things that can be learned as well or as efficiently over the computer as in person. Certainly not without more sophisticated electronic equipment than most people have.

Can you give a good argument against that position?

tanyaviola
User

Postby tanyaviola » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:36 am

I think you can learn an instrument just as well online, as you can in person. You might think that with beginners it would be difficult to show them how to hold a violin, etc. If you have a clear webcam (which is a requirement for these kinds of lessons) and good lighting, you can see the teacher and student very clearly.You can also walk closer to the camera to show a close-up, if you need to. Even if you wanted to take the bow and the child's hand to show how to hold the bow, I wouldn't do it. These days, you can be sued for almost anything. That means, I wouldn't be touching the student at all anyway in a "real" lesson, so why not have the lesson online?

The advantages of an online lesson: it's in your house (you don't have to go anywhere), you can choose a professional in the performing business (as opposed to someone that only teaches), you're not limited to teachers in your area, you save gas!

I know I always learned best by listening and watching, and you can demonstrate very well over the computer. So long as the connections are good on both ends, you're good to go!

Now it might be a personal thing, which is fine....there will always be some people who would rather have lessons in person. That's why most people offer a free lesson to start, to see if the connections are good and to see if it's a good fit for the student (& teacher).

I hope this helped. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Tanya

Tanya
Please visit our website for online music lessons via Skype: http://www.violaduo.com

Return to “Music / Art”