The Well-Trained Mind for more than one kid?

Discuss unschooling, eclectic, the unit study approach, or any other "unusual" homeschooling method.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Jenamarie
User

The Well-Trained Mind for more than one kid?

Postby Jenamarie » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:18 pm

I'm *really* interested in following the homeschooling method outlined in The Well-Trained Mind (not everything they outline, but I like the chronological history and memorization practice and other things), but I'll eventually be homeschooling 3 kids, and I don't know if I'll end up going nuts trying to teach each of them history in the order it occured, since that would have all three different history lessons to prepare.

If you follow this method, how do you balance the history lesons? And also the science, since they seem to have a preferred order for how that is done as well (and I can see the logic of it, based on age-appropriateness).

Elisabeth
User

Postby Elisabeth » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:20 pm

I am mostly WTM and have 4 kids but I only have one full time HSing right now. We started SOTW 1 this year with DS7 and DS5 will be joining in next year or maybe even the year after. The idea is to let the youngers join in wherever you are at with the older so they are all combined. I have DS3 who will be coming up in a few years so I do think combining them will be the simplest way to do it. I have used the other WTM curricula and I'm very happy with it. We don't do science yet but I will go a different direction in science.

yesclass
User

Sharing my experience

Postby yesclass » Thu May 02, 2013 5:06 pm

What I found is that it gets easier as you go along to present the same material. Of course, practice and memorization helps you to present the material to your kids, same as in the Well Trained Mind. Here's what I mean:
Give the basics, then present the details, the teaching order is
Red
red orange
red orange yellow
red orange yellow green blue indigo purple.

As you go along, fill in more details and be more colorful, that way, your lesson will be awesome, and your kids will respect that.
Hello, if you are curious about our online one-on-one tutoring company, please read our letter to parents.

http://welcomeyesclass.blogspot.com/201 ... rents.html

Return to “Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies”