Education Based on Current Events and News

Discuss unschooling, eclectic, the unit study approach, or any other "unusual" homeschooling method.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

ChristineHHZ
User

Education Based on Current Events and News

Postby ChristineHHZ » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:25 pm

I'd like to suggest a new idea for older students who may not be inclined to the "textbook" method. I'm 17 and homeschooled myself. For the majority of my high school years, most of what I've learned has been from reading the news; something I did not notice until last year, which was my junior year of high school. I never even thought of news as an education source, But, alas, I had to figure out some way to organize my transcript with references other than textbooks; except for math, I have trouble getting the motivation to actually finish them. :(
And so I started thinking about everything I know about history, science, social studies, etc,. Where did it come from? News! Who knew? Something I did for <i>fun</i> on Saturday nights really paid off! :D
So what I'd like to suggest to parents of homeschoolers out there: don't over structure. Let them find what works. I learn basically everything about social studies and science in particular from news, but with math I do much better with a textbook than any computer program. Everyone learns differently.

Thanks!

Christine
Homeschool Hangout Zone - "Education Based on Current Events and News"

itsrks
User

Postby itsrks » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:19 am

Thank you ChristineHHZ for reminding us that one size doesn't fit all. My husband is always listening to the news and he said too, that news is his education. He does a lot of critical analysis with it.

I'd like to suggest a resource to you. The World and I online magazine. It's fairly cheap especially if you get it through the Homeschool Buyer's Co-op. Anyway, every week they send you a compilation of the lastest international news. If you haven't heard of it, I think it would be a good resource for you even in college and beyond.
Get HEART (Help and support, Expansion of the mind and heart, Academic excellence, Realization of unique genius, and Training of heart) http://www.upliftingeducation.net/

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:20 pm

nia1965
User

Postby nia1965 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:40 am

Return to “Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies”