ALWAYS LATE...or SUPER SLOW..or continually distracted!

Discuss unschooling, eclectic, the unit study approach, or any other "unusual" homeschooling method.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

momto2girlygirls
User

ALWAYS LATE...or SUPER SLOW..or continually distracted!

Postby momto2girlygirls » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:12 am

OK - I made my title as it is because that is what i searched and came up with nothing! I'm homeschooling my sweetest ever dd. We are in our 2nd year, she is in 2nd grade. She's an artist, loves her 2 pets & music. She has an amazing heart and loves to be helpful & create gifts for others. According to my dh, she inherited his complete and total lack of time reference!! He's very laid back. (we also have a 3yo dd)

I'm finding myself constantly addressing the issue of being LATE to the school table, moving at snail's pace through chores (seriously - a snail...she can take 30 minutes to brush her hair), being distracted from what she's supposed to be doing, etc. This has become chronic. I don't know what to do! I don't want to constantly have to "address" this with her, I need some tried and true FIXES/TECHNIQUES that you have tried and seen good results from!!! I know I cannot be the only one who deals with this!

elliemaejune
User

Re: ALWAYS LATE...or SUPER SLOW..or continually distracted!

Postby elliemaejune » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:41 pm

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Elei
User

Postby Elei » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:34 am

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:18 am

We stole a Waldorf idea and use music. We have a 'good morning' playlist that sets the tone and pace for the morning chores ( Here Comes The Sun, the 2 songs from Lilo and Stitch, I'm Mad (animaniacs) and a few other more random ones)
We start off school with the theme from Schoolhouse Rock. Right now our current playlist is Mannheim Steamroller - it helps keep the pace going for more dull tasks, like writing exercises.

Punishments/rewards don't work here. I think Alfie Kohn was dead on when he said the reward is just a punishment - they're both the carrot on the stick, except one's the carrot and the other's the stick. Same thing, two different ways of getting there. The reward's the nicer version of the stick - "If you get the work done I'll play a game with you" is a nice way of saying "if you don't work, I won't play with you."

Your dd is old enough to appreciate the stories from Mrs. Piggle-wiggle, too. :lol: Whenever I feel my patience really straining we sit down with a chapter and read her magic (or not so magic!) cure about what's ailing our home. The laughter and idea that we're not alone with the problem seem to help immensely.
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

Return to “Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies”