Ae you laid back or scheduled with homeschooling?

Discuss unschooling, eclectic, the unit study approach, or any other "unusual" homeschooling method.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

hannahwdel
User

Ae you laid back or scheduled with homeschooling?

Postby hannahwdel » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:35 am

I feel that I am right in between. My children may have a certain time that we start school at, but if they need a break for an hour, then we can take a break! How about you guys? Are you laidback or scheduled?

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:23 am

I would guess that depends on how autonomously your children can study. If all of them are under grades 3-4 or so, and they're fairly self-motivated, then you don't need to oversee much and they can go off and study whenever it's convenient for them. If they need a bit of a push, or if you need to be there to answer questions or oversee experiments or whatever, then scheduling a study time is obviously going to be helpful. But either way, short breaks between subjects won't hurt - concentration starts to drop after 30 minutes to an hour depending on age and attention span, unless the subject/activity is one that your children really enjoy. Even if you have a rigid schedule, it should have breaks built into it.

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:38 am

Most of my friends think we're so structured it's scary, whereas my husband has been known to say I'm so relaxed my brains are falling out. :) I wanted to unschool, but my kids wanted structure, so structure it is. :D We have an order we start to follow each day, but there are few days we don't get away from it to some degree. I like to finish everything I plan each day for the first week or two of each term, and after that things kind of blow in the breeze.

Instructor
User

Postby Instructor » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:52 am

I used a very organic approach to teaching using every day things to explain lessons instead of doing a structured lesson.

For example when I was teaching my daughter about photosynthesis I shined a bright light on the leaves of a plant under water and we watched bubbles of pure oxygen form and drift to the surface.

Physical science we learned primarily in the dojang doing martial arts.
www.dunamistao.com Fun family friendly martial arts you can do at home.

angelap2013
User

Postby angelap2013 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:25 pm

Return to “Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies”