Seeking input on cyberschools

Discuss unschooling, eclectic, the unit study approach, or any other "unusual" homeschooling method.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

twiggybumble
User

Seeking input on cyberschools

Postby twiggybumble » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:53 pm

I am currently tossing the idea of cyberschool around, and I'm seeking input and opinions on it in general.

Background- I homeschooled my son last year in the more traditional fashion, i.e. no "curriculum" and very relaxed learning atmosphere. I know he did well and learned a lot, but I am having issues with the school district in my area, and I am frustrated, frazzled, and generally unamused. They want a copy of my diploma, my evaluator's credentials, etc. Everytime I try to explain the law to them, they refuse to make a note of it.

At any rate, I am considering the cyberschool thing because of the simple fact that I would no longer have to deal with the system. However, I do have my concerns.

I am seeking thoughts from people who use cyberschools, and likewise thoughts from people who would not. I am also trying to define the difference between a "set curriculum" from a cyberschool, and one from a "school in a box" curriculum which one could purchase to homeschool their child on their own.

I hope this makes sense. Please do not think that I am just tossing this around lightly.. I have had it with this district and everywhere I turn I hit a brick wall.

elliemaejune
User

Re: Seeking input on cyberschools

Postby elliemaejune » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:39 pm

It would help if we knew what state you're in :-)

Before enrolling your dc in a cyber school, my recommendation would be to join HSLDA and go from there.

There are "cyberschools" which are publicly funded public schools where the students learn at home. This is legally not homeschooling; it's public school. This is not a choice I normally recommend, as I encourage private home education.

There are "cyberschools" where you sign up for computer-based distance learning, either where your dc are actually enrolled with a school or where you just sign up for the classes.

I'm assuming that what you're considering is a goverrnment-funded public school program. As I said, this isn't something I normally recommend. You'll still be dealing with the public school, you know; it's just a different department.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

twiggybumble
User

Postby twiggybumble » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:56 pm

Sorry I didn't mention my state.. I'm in PA.

Those are some of my thoughts.. I don't want to switch from one bureaucratic pain to another.. and I would prefer to direct my son's education myself. Last year was.. interesting.. as our first year. This year, he has really opened up and is enjoying our learning process much more.

I'm sure my post sounds rather rash.. I am just so frustrated! While I can see some of the more "enticing" aspects to cyberschools, and appreciate how they would be right for some families, I don't think that's my answer.

I contacted the hs liason in my state (again) today about this issue, hopefully she will have some answers. I'll also look into HSLDA. The only thing that would concern me there would be membership fees.

Thank you for your reply. :)

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:34 pm

Well, PA does have very restrictive laws (it's one of HSLDA's "red" states), but there are many hsers there who manage to get through it.

You can make payments to HSLDA. You see that option once you begin the on-line process.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

silkweaver
User

Virtual Schools

Postby silkweaver » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:33 am

Hi
I just found these forums today, but thought I might could provide some insight. :)

My son has been using one of the government-funded virtual schools. He did all of 5th grade last year and started in 6th this year. I am however withdrawing him now.

I don't really have a major "problem" with the VS, but you really don't have the freedom that I want with him. You have to follow their curriculum, and you have to keep up with your attendance. My son has medical issues and learning challenges, and I am now ready to try some different methods with him. If we take the time to do "extras", he falls behind in the online curriculum. We don't really have time for field trips or much hands-on activities. The VS curriculum is quite intense, IMO. Also, we can cover a unit and I feel he knows the material pretty well, and he'll make a 60 on the Unit Test. :( Not very good for his self-esteem.

I'm also withdrawing his twin brother from public school to start homeschooling him as well! :) An adventure awaits!

Activities_Director
User

Postby Activities_Director » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:54 am

Cyber schools are okay. I used one to get my bachelors degree. But I have to be honest and say that they don't offer the interaction that most people would like to have. And when dealing with children, it is really important to have them involved with other peers building relationships. On the other side of the coin, it is often less expensive to go through these online schools, which is part of the hook to draw you in.

Blessings4all
User

Postby Blessings4all » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:33 pm

Many blessings,
Susan

www.HomeschoolWithLove.com - Homeschooling made easy for you & fun for the kids.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:07 pm

MainStreetSchool
User

Postby MainStreetSchool » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:27 pm

Return to “Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies”