I just got mad at my son :( and ramble abt. discipline

Discuss unschooling, eclectic, the unit study approach, or any other "unusual" homeschooling method.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Will I eventually go crazy homeschooling?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:42 pm

yes
No votes
no
11%
probably, but it will be a lot of fun and you'll be smart when you finish.
56%
33%

Total votes: 9

kennys_mommy
User

Postby kennys_mommy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:23 am

"I don't know how old the devil was when he rejected God's authority, but my guess it would be 15"
- Parent of a 15 year old son -

kennys_mommy
User

Postby kennys_mommy » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:44 pm

"I don't know how old the devil was when he rejected God's authority, but my guess it would be 15"

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:20 am

Teach him how to re-compose himself when he gets upset. Give him a few minutes to step back, go into the other room and take a few deep breaths.

I'm wondering.....where does your son fit into this equation of school? Why not make him responsible for teaching you the material - when we teach, we learn. The dvds seem to put him at 'empty receptacle' stage, not 'fire that needs to be fanned' stage.
In the classical structure, your son is at the age where he needs to bounce ideas off of people and create his own thoughts. Are the dvds allowing him to do this?
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

Jill
User

Postby Jill » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:11 am

I noticed you said "I enjoyed" the DVD program. Did he?

If he enjoys the DVD's and he's learning, but just won't sit still, what about letting him watch them while jumping on one of those little trampolines? Does he sit still for the other shows he watches?

I have a daughter who literally will stand on her head while we do things. It doesn't bother me, when we're done, she knows them. As she has gotten older she's gotten better about sitting (especially in group situations outside home) but she still has her moments at home.

As far as the "my teacher didn't do it that way", I went through that with my oldest who came out of public school in 2nd grade. I got tired of it too and just would say something like, "Well, this is another way to do the same thing -now you'll be extra smart because you know more than one way to do something" and just move on like nothing happened. As she got older, she outgrew the things they had done in school and there was no reason to say it anymore.
Best wishes.
Jill

kennys_mommy
User

Postby kennys_mommy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:19 am

OH! Yes he does enjoy the DVD a lot. It's really a great thing, and the teacher is so thorough with explaining things. There isn't really a time listed to do seatwork though, so we're just doing that when that classtime is over. Then we go on to the next thing.

My husband is a computer nerd and set us up with a virtual blackboard that runs on a dual monitor system from my laptop. So I can sit here and keep track of him, keep up on bills and emails while he's watching intently and if he needs something on the blackboard, I can put it up on the other monitor. I thought it was going to be a big hassle and I fought it to begin with. I had to do some photoshop work with the scanned images - but that's what I did before I was a homeschool mom. Worked in graphic design - it wasn't all that hard.

But now, it's pretty cool and it's saved us from attaching a blackboard in the room and from me having to write it all out everyday. :D

Here is a picture of our classroom! That's Mrs. Chappell (Chapel) on the screen, Math class I believe.

And a little broader view - see this screen was up!

We just had a little tear fit - he couldn't tear out a page like she showed them, so I was showing him a little differently and he absolutely dissolved because it wasn't like SHE said to do it. I explained that she is on the TV and doesn't know we didn't do it exactly, and he wasn't going to get into trouble if he doesn't do it exactly right.

However, all in all - he's doing just great listening and paying attention in class today. He's so proud when he gets an answer right. I am too.

kennys_mommy
User

Postby kennys_mommy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:36 am

Jill
User

Postby Jill » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:45 pm

I think you will have a great year...your posts already sound more positive. :)
Jill

LilyMama
User

Totally Lurking...

Postby LilyMama » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:28 am

kennys_mommy
User

Postby kennys_mommy » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:05 pm

Things are going pretty well but we're still having teary times, when he doesn't understand instructions and won't ask or tell me that he doesn't understand them and just does them, and then it's all wrong. Of course, A Beka isn't without fault here.

Example: the other day they had a list of sounds to add letters to to make a real word, from their spelling list. One of the letter combinations was bat he was to add either c or k to a list of words, well batk or batc aren't words and he knew that... that was about 3 minutes of explaining that even school books are wrong sometimes.

Really, I know it may be hard to understand, but it's a LOT genetic. His paternal side just are not wrong, period. Grandma, Daddy, bigger brother. I can show irrefutable proof that they're wrong and I *might* get "well, maybe" out of them, but I can't remember the last time I've ever been right about anything. There is also no gray area in this family. Black, white or nothing. It's a rough time.

I've been letting him wiggle more in class, and letting him hum while he words, at least when he's humming, he's not talking to me and totally off topic. We take wiggle breaks, we take snack breaks we sing and dance and chat a bit between classes...

He's such a good kid though, really he is. I love him dearly and just want him to be well-adjusted, whatever that is LOL!

MelissaM
User

Postby MelissaM » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:11 am

Getting Started in Homeschooling is easy at www.YourHomeschoolCommunity.com

Lorelei Sieja
User

Fixing Mistakes

Postby Lorelei Sieja » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:05 pm

I had a daughter who hated to get anything wrong, also. She was my youngest, and always wanted her papers to be clean, neat, and perfect. If I marked something wrong, I had to mark it with a small, erasable mark. Then when I helped her understand the mistake, she'd go back and fix it and I'd erase the mistake. I usually recorded the actual score in a record book, but to appease her tearfulness, it made her papers look nicer.

I'm a little sorry that I did that, though. She's in college now, and still gets very upset when she makes mistakes. She has carried this "perfectionist" attitude to everything she does, She joined a rowing team at college, but because she wasn't exceptionally good at it right away, she lost interest and dropped out. Oddly enough, she's in the Japanese program, doing quite well, and very happy with that. I would think that Japanese would be harder than rowing a boat, but who am I to say? <G>. She's carrying a double major, and keeping her grades up because she's on scholarship. But I worry that she's trying too hard. I wish she would have learned to handle a little disappointment earlier in life.

Lorelei
Lorelei Sieja
www.raisingcreativechildren.com
Nurturing Creative Young Minds and Wiggly Bodies

BrandyBJ
User

Postby BrandyBJ » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:56 am

My children are very much this way. I discovered after BATTLES to start out with 2 plans. For example; 1. tear out the page this way....and 2. If it doesn't work (rips wrong or something) here's what we'll do.....We have a 5 sec conversation and then they do it. They are ALL persnickety and it can be very frustrating.

My oldest still has to erase like crazy because it has to be perfect - but thats his personailty, so I've let go of it and bought extra erasers. ;)

Sounds like kenny is doing much better. Thank goodness. Good luck!!

tinky wink
User

Postby tinky wink » Mon May 03, 2010 4:48 pm

Well I wonder how little Kenny is doing now? I've discovered a great trick to use with kids with AD/HD or just kids who have a long assignment to do and it looks like eternity to them. I put an egg timer on for 5 min or 2 min or whatever I think is the limit of their frustration level and tell them to just work for that amount of time and see how much they can get done. They're usually amazed and then if it's something like 25 math problems, I'll say, "Look, you did 12 problems--you'lre half done! Now take a little break." They usually love the timer and like to try to beat their last time and aren't interested in the break. I'm AD/HD myself so I know this would have worked with me.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
Mark Twain

Return to “Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies”