trying to convince parents to homeschool

Discuss unschooling, eclectic, the unit study approach, or any other "unusual" homeschooling method.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

annonymous03
User

trying to convince parents to homeschool

Postby annonymous03 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:18 pm

I really want to get out of public school and just get homeschooled already.. 11th grade just started. i know it probably really late to get started but i heard that at my age i can self teach. ive tried asking my parents but their response is we dont have time to sit down and teach you and neither of us are teachers.. ive explained to them you dont need to be a teacher or take time ouf of your day for me.. they think im making it up and they tell me im wrong.. i want to show them im right somehow so that they homeschool me.

any ideas?

and if they say yes.. how do you start it like how do you confirm being homeschooled out of the blue.. do i have to call the school and let them know and all those kind of details.. etc etc

im looking for a nice detailed helpful answer i have no idea about this stuff

Ramona
User

Re: trying to convince parents to homeschool

Postby Ramona » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:00 pm

Go to the public library and browse through the books on homeschooling. You will probably find several books you can show your parents about how kids your age can study independently.

Go to your local community college and find out what they usually do with 11th-graders. Many high-school kids take courses at community colleges. The advisers and counselors there will help you with all your questions.

Check out your state homeschooling laws on-line. Your parents probably have to notify the authorities in writing that you will be leaving public school (maybe 15 days in advance, or something like that). Whether they also have to notify them that you will be starting home education depends on the state.

Google up homeschool support groups in your area and see if the people there can give you any specific help.

Ramona

Morgan
User

Re: trying to convince parents to homeschool

Postby Morgan » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:37 am

"What we want to see is the child in pursuit of knowledge, not knowledge in pursuit of the child."
- George Bernard Shaw

hates_school16
User

Postby hates_school16 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:08 am

Any advice for me ben tryign forever parents say no they both work and there wont be much time tot each me is it possible i could teach myself or are they right.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:20 am

You can teach yourself most things. You might need help with a few subjects, but online courses (or a few minutes of your parents' time) should be sufficient for that.

hates_school16
User

Postby hates_school16 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:03 pm

hmm ok im pretty smart so i should eb able to do most things any way to convince them

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:44 pm

judyh
User

before you talk to your parents about homeschooling...

Postby judyh » Fri May 29, 2009 11:45 pm

judy

Enjoying homebound education and homeschool curriculum with my 4 year old dd
Attending Parenting Classes helps me as a homeschool mum

MelissaM
User

Postby MelissaM » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:30 am

Getting Started in Homeschooling is easy at www.YourHomeschoolCommunity.com

Naturalnut
User

Postby Naturalnut » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:32 pm

Check out the Robinsoncurriculum.com or A2 (I forget the website). Those are both self taught curriculum.

Return to “Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies”