Looking for kids to read/critic a new novel

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Jay Jennings
User

Looking for kids to read/critic a new novel

Postby Jay Jennings » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:36 pm

I'm the Dad of two homeschooled teens and I'm working on a book for kids aged 11-15ish. I'd like to start getting some feedback from kids other than my own. Here's the blurb about the book:

Flying Sucks (working title): Bryan may be just 15, but he’s old enough to know his new ability to fly has to be kept completely secret if he doesn’t want to spend the rest of his life locked in a laboratory being prodded, poked, and probed (the Three P’s of abduction).

So when the creepy Mr. Smith discovers his secret and turns on the blackmail, Bryan doesn’t have any choice but to go along with the plans. Plans that include a multi-state crime wave where Bryan takes all the chances and Smith gets all the loot!

With Mr. Smith on one side and the FBI on the other, Bryan’s caught in a trap that will tear his whole family apart — unless he can carry out a scheme that will turn the tables on both Mr. Smith and the Feds.

If that sounds like the kind of story your kid might be interested in, I'd love to have them as reader/critics. The story itself might be rated PG-13 because of language and thematic elements, but my own kids are reading it so I have no intention of being "edgy" just for effect.

You can read the first two chapters here:
http://jawhye.com/flying-sucks/
...and if you want to read more you have to register, which is free (registration is just so the whole book isn't in public yet). If your child is under 13, please register for them.

I'm hoping to get about 100 kids reading this so I can get feedback on what they like and don't like.

Thanks!

Jay Jennings (aka J. A. Whye)

PS - Bryan, the main character in the story, is homeschooled, although it's only mentioned in passing, it doesn't figure prominently in the story at this point.

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”