homeschool and hospice

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

lillinda
User

homeschool and hospice

Postby lillinda » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:40 pm

Am I the only person doing homeschool and hospice?
Surely someone else has been thru this.
My dad is dying and I am his caregiver. I am also hsing a 14 yo boy.
I think I just need to vent.

4given
User

Postby 4given » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:22 am

I have been there (sort of). In November of '08, I brought my dad home for what I thought would be a weekend visit. He had not been very upfront about how bad his condition was. By the 3rd day, I had to call in Hospice. I rearranged my house, put schooling to the side and wondered how in the world I was going to juggle it all... caring for my dad and 4 boys, ages 3-13. I imagined the MONTHS to come with much fear and uncertainty.

My dad died on the 7th day. I never had to figure on Hospice and HSing. I don't know what I would've done. Do you have any help? That wasn't an option for me, had he lived longer.

Is it possible to put schooling on the back burner? Or allow more self-teaching? There are many lessons involved in caring for the sick. I know it's not feasible to toss out schooling for a prolonged period, but perhaps the focus could shift for a little while? I don't know.

I'm very sorry. Feel free to vent in any way you need.

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”