Working and homeschool

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

s.av.sum1
User

Working and homeschool

Postby s.av.sum1 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:31 pm

I have to go back to work full time and thought I could never homeschool. However I have some information where there are some parents that work full time and homeschool. I will have to work until 4 pm and I have 45 min commute 3 days a week. The other 2 days I work from home. My idea is to do school as soon as I get home and to send some stuff for Kindergardener to work on during the day at Grandma's. I do not expect Grandma to offer a lot of help just read instructions to her. I will use vaction time to help if we get off track and I plan to do this all year so we can take lots of breaks. Do you think this will really work or am I setting myself up for disappointment?

Matt Conrad
User

Postby Matt Conrad » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:57 pm

I think it will be tough at best, but I have heard of parents doing it. Depends a lot on you and your child, I think. Maybe on Grandma too.

If you feel strongly about homeschooling you can at least give it a try. You've got months before the next school year, so you can test it out until July or so, and decide then whether or not to keep on.

In my town we have a mom who homeschools other families' children for a very modest fee--something between a private school and a homeschool co-op. Perhaps you could find something similar where you live.
www.HomeSchoolDayBook.com -- software for easy homeschool record keeping and time tracking

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:45 pm

I work. I give music lessons 3 days a week and the other two I am home. I am also getting ready to go back to school. I know it is going to be tough but I think I can do it. We are doing work on Sat and Sun if we don't get it done during the week. It only takes us a 2 to 3 hours a day though to complete our lessons so it really doesn't mess up our weekends if we have to use those days. I try to do double up if I think we won't get it done. We are making it work. Me teaching is a necessity not a luxury and after I complete my schooling I will be looking for a night job so I can continue to homeschool and work in the evenings/night. It won't be the first time I have had to do this so I know I can do it again.

You'll find a way! Just be flexible.

roo
User

Postby roo » Sat May 16, 2009 5:41 am

Blessed By The Lord~
Wife to Dale
Mom to 2dd 2ds
2 tabby cats and 1 baby bunny named Moses!

nelcy06
User

Postby nelcy06 » Sun May 17, 2009 12:24 am

I think you are doing the right thing Roo.

Good luck for you too !!

Glottis
User

Postby Glottis » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:30 am

judyh
User

Give it a try if you believe homeschooling is still the best

Postby judyh » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:36 pm

judy

Enjoying homebound education and homeschool curriculum with my 4 year old dd
Attending Parenting Classes helps me as a homeschool mum

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”