So excited to start homeschooling.

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

SimplyMomma
User

So excited to start homeschooling.

Postby SimplyMomma » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:33 pm

Will be pulling my third grader out of public school next week and I'm super excited to start teaching him at home. My only concern is that I'm so excited right now and once we get going, the "high" wears off. I don't want to set myself or my son up for failure. Any advice?

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:19 pm

Well, it won't necessarily be this exciting years down the line, but there's no reason why it can't still be fun. The key is to play to your son's strengths, and allow him to advance as far he wants in the subjects he enjoys, while staying at a comfortable minimum in everything else. Try to mix in some field trips, hands-on activities (crafts, lab science, gardening, whatever), extracurriculars. Work in short bursts of no more than 45 minutes to an hour in subjects he doesn't like as much. Work year-round so there's only 2-3 hours of studying max per day. I can't get more specific than that without knowing what your son is like.

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”