Vaccinate or not vaccinate?

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:22 pm

I recently did some research into this. The main contention point over vaccination is Thimerosal, a preservative that is about half ethyl mercury. It is added to vaccines to kill bacteria and fungi, which are a possible health risk when dealing with multi-dose vials. Basically, it makes mass production of seasonal vaccines such as H1N1 possible. Now, is Thimerosal dangerous? Accoding to one study I looked at, ethyl mercury is eliminated from the body around three times as fast as methyl mercury, and the safe amount of methyl mercury is either 0.1 or 0.4 micrograms per kg per day (depending on whether you believe the EPA or the FDA more). This means that if you're taking a typical vaccine with 25 micrograms of ethyl mercury, then the cut-off is about 21 kg of body weight using the more generous safety limit. But those safety limits are often a lot more strict than actually necessary.

Bottom line, even a child probably isn't going to be damaged by one vaccination containing Thimerosal. Polio is a lot more dangerous. However, if you can find vaccinations manufactured in single doses, buy them instead just in case; skip vaccinations against anything that isn't likely to kill you, like H1N1; and DON'T HAVE YOUR CHILD TAKE ALL HIS VACCINES SIMULTANEOUSLY. Space vaccinations at least 8 days apart to allow time for flushing the last batch of ethyl mercury.

<i>(Note, this shouldn't be considered medical advice, it's what I collected from reading a bunch of different web sites, including the FDA web site)</i>

KeriMomof2
User

Postby KeriMomof2 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:13 pm

Keri
No-Vax~EBF~Time4Learning-Homeschooler~Crunchy Momma 2 DD & DS <3

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”