Vaccinate or not vaccinate?

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

bubbaansissy
User

Vaccinate or not vaccinate?

Postby bubbaansissy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:13 am

Hey, just wanted to start a topic about the issue of to vaccinate or not to vaccinate. When my 2 children were born, of course, we vaccinated. Then, we made the decision not to vaccinate mainly due to the questions surrounding the vaccines. The more we heard & learned about vaccines reinforced our decision to not vaccinate. I now attend monthly meetings on vaccine information to keep up to date. However, homeschooling is not the reason that we chose not to vaccinate, as I've heard is the reason others are homeschooling.
Colossians 3:2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things....

Homeschooling Mama of Jake & Kenzie Leigh
Wife of Phil (Military Dad)

Our motto for now: accidents happen.......

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:11 pm

Jazzy
User

Postby Jazzy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:40 pm

Yes, doctors have really been pushing the flu shot lately and that's one we've decided not to vaccinate for. We do the other ones that are recommended by our ped. I don't have any teens yet, but I don't foresee us doing the HPV vaccine.

Carletta

bubbaansissy
User

Postby bubbaansissy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:11 pm

Oh, I think the reasons to not vaccinate far outweigh the reasons to vaccinate. Do you even know what's in the vaccines? When I found out what was in the vaccines & what I was allowing our pediatrician to inject into my children, that's when I said no more. Did you know that our leading manufacturer of vaccines comes from China? Our inspectors from the FDA are not even allowed into their facility but once every 13 years to inspect. This is the same China w/ all the recalls b/c of lead & defects. Well, high levels of mercury, aluminum, rubber, live organisms, etc. are found in the vaccines. The polio & flu shots also contain carcinogens.

Anyway, this is a personal choice & truly do not mean to offend anyone in any way. Just want to pose the questions of whether or not homeschoolers vaccinate. Thanks.

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:59 pm

I only get certain vaccines for my kids. I have my list of the ones I feel comfortable with and the ones my husband and I feel are needed other than those I don't get any others. And I absolutely refuse to get the HPV vaccine and have put off the chicken pox vaccine for my youngest two, my oldest had the pox when he was 2. I am hoping they catch the pox naturally too.

4given
User

Postby 4given » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:33 am

We followed our ped.'s guidelines to a tee with our two oldest sons.

Our third son (about to turn 6) has had them all BUT the ones they require before they begin school. When he was 2ish and had one of the DTAP combinations, he scared me beyond words. His temp shot up to 104.6F and he was vomitting. His doc said it was def. the Pertussis (whooping cough?) part of the DTAP. He can't have that one anymore. He is over due for his shots. Everytime I mention it, my husband expresses his misgivings. We don't know what to do.

My fourth son has a weakened immune system due to Down Syndrome. We have, so far, let him receive all of his shots. (He's 30 mos.) He has become slightly ill after one round. He's the only one of our kids to receive the flu vaccine every season. He has become slightly ill afterward. He has even had the RSV shots... the year that insurance wouldn't cover these EXTREMELY expensive shots, he got RSV.

I guess what I'm trying to convey with my multitude of words... We are torn and don't know what to do. :(

bubbaansissy
User

Postby bubbaansissy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:41 am

4given,

Of course you are the only person (along w/ dh) that can make those choices for your family. I, too, was very torn about should I or shouldn't I. However, I went investigating & found that it wasn't necessary and was actually, better for them not too. For us, if your children are getting sick or are becoming sick from receiving the shots, that says alot, in my opionion.

I do not know what I would do if my children were attending public school. There are alot of people that do not believe in vaccinating their children, but have to have their children vaccinated b/c of the rules of children being vaccinated before entering school & that's just an awful feeling for a parent, I can imagine.

Don't know if you are a religious person & don't mean for this to be offensive, but if it's something you're torn about, prayers do work. At least I believe they do. :wink:

Ophelia
User

Postby Ophelia » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:01 pm

Interesting this topic should come up. I've been doing a lot of research on this topic in the past few months.

My first vaccine concerns came up in 2001 after the birth of our first child. My husband was actually the one that expressed concerns first. At that time, having my first child and growing up in a society were the majority vaccinates, I couldn't understand why he would be considering not continuing to vaccinate our baby.

This was when there was the big concern about Thimerosal in the vaccines. Our second child was born 16 months later. We stopped vaccinating both children. We felt it was better to err on the safe side.

Then comes baby number 3 in 2008. I figured vaccines had been cleaned up by now. I questioned our new Pediatrician about the vaccines his office uses. He TOLD me there was no thimerosal in their vaccines. When he went to get the vaccine package inserts for me to view they were conveniently unable to locate them. They gave me the standard printout they give you AFTER they vaccinate your child.

I went home and did some more homework. I love the internet. I discovered that thimerosal (mercury) is still used as a preservative in vaccines, it is just now used in small enough amounts that the drug companies aren't required to list them (but in reality the recommended number of childhood vaccinations add up to quite a large amount of mercury being dumped into your child's body). I also found that formaldehyde, antifreeze, MSG, aluminum, methanol, latex, aborted human foetal tissue, and many other ingredients are used in vaccine production.

I could write a novel on this subject. All I will say right now is I have chosen not to continue vaccinating my children. I also believe the reasons NOT to vaccinate far outweigh the reasons to vaccinate. While the vaccines themselves may be beneficial the preservatives used in them are toxic. The vaccine components have been linked to mercury poisoning, ADD, ADHD, allergies, asthma, and many other conditions.

(I'm really trying to restrain myself and keep this short and simple.)

We have considered vaccinating for polio and meningitis. We are still discussing it. I don't see us coming to a decision very soon. No way in hell will my daughter get vaccinated for HPV.

I am entirely comfortable with my decisions. I have no doubts about them at all. If my children attended public school I would take the philosophical exemption since my state allows that one.

I will never tell another parent NOT to vaccinate. I will only tell other parents to research the topic for yourself. Make an informed decision. Be an informed parent.
Dawn

Mother of Fionn (5-7-01), Bailey (9-12-02) and Owen (8-7-07)

bubbaansissy
User

Postby bubbaansissy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:13 pm

Ophelia (Dawn),

Yes, all of what you have stated is correct....however, you may want to research the polio vaccine a little more. The vaccine meetings that I attend have just linked the polio vaccine to cancer in a big way.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:07 pm

I'm appalled at the fact that the babies in MA are given a vaccine for a STD before they leave the hospital! :shock:

BTW we stopped vaccinating, we only do tetnis now, (sp?), maybe if their wasn't so much beaurocracy about them, it would be a good thing, but their is, so they just aren't safe right now. I too am looking for the chicken pox fot my youngest, I can't seem to find them anymore! :?
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Ophelia
User

Postby Ophelia » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:45 pm

Dawn

Mother of Fionn (5-7-01), Bailey (9-12-02) and Owen (8-7-07)

bubbaansissy
User

Postby bubbaansissy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:48 pm

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:17 pm

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

bubbaansissy
User

Postby bubbaansissy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:29 pm

bubbaansissy
User

Postby bubbaansissy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:35 pm

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”