Transitioning from public school to homeschooling

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Janet Tatman
User

Transitioning from public school to homeschooling

Postby Janet Tatman » Fri May 23, 2008 12:37 pm

Wondering what problems and/or successful ideas others had for transitioning their kids from public school to homeschooling.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sat May 24, 2008 12:44 am

I think the most common method is just to give your kids a "detox" period of a few weeks to a couple months, assuming of course they aren't ready to go immediately. This also has the happy side effect of allowing more time to explore extracurricular and curriculum options.

Minniewannabe
User

Postby Minniewannabe » Sat May 24, 2008 12:13 pm

ontheprairie
User

Postby ontheprairie » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:03 pm

We are going through the transition right now. My oldest has done k - grade 4 in public, and our second k - grade 3. The nice thing is we decided over the summer so they have had two months of being at home so that transition will not be quit as hard. I am sure they will miss their friends and be a little 'school' sick when they see the bus stop on our driveway each morning (the bus stop). But, we are committed so we will work through it. I told them it would take me a few weeks too to get things underway so hopefully they have patience with me also.

Rita Abend
User

Postby Rita Abend » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:38 am

Hi! I have been reading the home-school.com forum for over a year. I decided to homeschool our daughter last year (4 yrs old then). I received great advice (to buy Ruth Beechick's book The 3 R's) here. I am homeschooling my daughter and it is very rewarding and so far we think she is doing great and we have made the right decision.

However, what if at some point in the future, I do not think I can homeschool my daughter anymore? I realize that this may not occur. But is the transition back to a public/private school just as difficult? Is there a better grade to do this than other grades? If a subjest is too difficult to teach what do homeschool parents usually do?

Thanks,
Rita
Rita Abend
Married to JJ
1 Daughter, 5 years old
Enjoy homeschooling, gardening, sewing

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:10 am

If you want to go back to public school, it's best to do it at the start of the school year, and with everything up to grade level - some schools may hold you back even if you're behind in just one subject. As for some things being too difficult to teach, that's not likely to happen until high school, by which time you can be using tutors, community college courses, various forms of distance learning, etc. There are also many homeschool co-ops. Homeschooling does not mean you necessarily have to teach everything yourself.

Rita Abend
User

Postby Rita Abend » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:56 pm

Hi Theodore,

Thanks for the information! It is very encouraging information. I am concerned about teaching high school subjects that were not my favorites when I was in school! It is good to know that there are alternatives to me teaching all of these subjects. Right now I am homeschooling and loving it!

Thanks,
Rita Abend
Rita Abend

Married to JJ

1 Daughter, 5 years old

Enjoy homeschooling, gardening, sewing

Glottis
User

Postby Glottis » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:11 am

one of the more common things that i have heard about transitioning from public school to homeschooling is taking a time off, it gives the children a time to adjust to a new lifestyle, and letting them understand the fact that learning can be done at home...

marhtaE
User

I can not each my child i don't have the education

Postby marhtaE » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:02 pm

where can I find people who can homeschool my kids?
Martha, in Virginia

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”