Homeschooling mother of one. Should I still continue?

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Wanetta Ellingwood
User
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:23 am

Homeschooling mother of one. Should I still continue?

Postby Wanetta Ellingwood » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:44 am

Hello. I'm a single mom homeschooling my 12-year old son. I've been noticing that he doesn't like to do schoolwork anymore and he just sits around all day, browsing his computer. Whenever I try to confront him, he just tells me to go away and locks himself in his room. I'm worried that he might be having depression, though I'm not so sure since I only googled his symptoms in the internet. What should I do?

koltonblue
User
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:19 pm

Re: Homeschooling mother of one. Should I still continue?

Postby koltonblue » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:58 am

Depression is quite tough to diagnose but pediatricians may be able to assist in conducting an examination for mental health conditions. Why don't you bring him first to his pedia and perhaps he/she can make some recommendations if he needs to see a psychologists or other mental health professionals.

User avatar
elliemaejune
User
Posts: 664
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:37 pm
Location: The Fireswamp

Re: Homeschooling mother of one. Should I still continue?

Postby elliemaejune » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:17 am

Wanetta Ellingwood wrote:Hello. I'm a single mom homeschooling my 12-year old son. I've been noticing that he doesn't like to do schoolwork anymore and he just sits around all day, browsing his computer. Whenever I try to confront him, he just tells me to go away and locks himself in his room. I'm worried that he might be having depression, though I'm not so sure since I only googled his symptoms in the internet. What should I do?


One of the first things I recommend is to take away the computer. And if he locks himself in his room, I would take the door off. If he is, in fact, clinically depressed, then he cannot continue to have access to things which can perpetuate the depression. Furthermore, he may not tell you to go away. Not ever. You are the parent.

Are you part of a homeschool support group? What are you using to teach him?
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Caretaker of 2 budgies

Wanetta Ellingwood
User
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:23 am

Re: Homeschooling mother of one. Should I still continue?

Postby Wanetta Ellingwood » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:43 pm

elliemaejune wrote:
Wanetta Ellingwood wrote:Hello. I'm a single mom homeschooling my 12-year old son. I've been noticing that he doesn't like to do schoolwork anymore and he just sits around all day, browsing his computer. Whenever I try to confront him, he just tells me to go away and locks himself in his room. I'm worried that he might be having depression, though I'm not so sure since I only googled his symptoms in the internet. What should I do?


One of the first things I recommend is to take away the computer. And if he locks himself in his room, I would take the door off. If he is, in fact, clinically depressed, then he cannot continue to have access to things which can perpetuate the depression. Furthermore, he may not tell you to go away. Not ever. You are the parent.

Are you part of a homeschool support group? What are you using to teach him?



My very dear friend of mine who is a dean professor in a college university gave me the curriculum that I follow to instruct my son. I tried to take away his computer before and encouraged him to play outside with the other kids. But, it seems that he doesn't have interest at all.

Thank you for your advice. I'll keep that in mind as one of my plan of actions.

User avatar
elliemaejune
User
Posts: 664
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:37 pm
Location: The Fireswamp

Re: Homeschooling mother of one. Should I still continue?

Postby elliemaejune » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:01 pm

Wanetta Ellingwood wrote:
My very dear friend of mine who is a dean professor in a college university gave me the curriculum that I follow to instruct my son. I tried to take away his computer before and encouraged him to play outside with the other kids. But, it seems that he doesn't have interest at all.

Thank you for your advice. I'll keep that in mind as one of my plan of actions.


So, does your son do all of his work on a computer? Little to no interaction with you?
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years

Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil

Grandmother to 1 sweet boy

Caretaker of 2 budgies


Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests