Need Ideas...Our Schedule

Describe your average homeschool day and give new homeschoolers an idea of what to expect!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

aprilsparrow
User

Need Ideas...Our Schedule

Postby aprilsparrow » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:35 pm

We keep our son Josiah on a schedule because it really works for us. When he does not know what is happening in his life he goes crazy and gets into a lot of trouble. We keep this schedule every day except Thursday when we go to the library and Sunday.

This is our schedule
8:00-9:00 Wake up, Dressed, Breakfast
9:00-9:30 Play Time
10:00-12:30 Calvert School Time
12:30-1:00 Lunch
1:00-1:30 Play Time
1:30-2:00 Story Time or Outside Time
2:00-2:30 Game Time
2:30-3:00 Rest
3:00-3;30 Reading Time
3:30-4:00 Alternates between Music time and Art Time
4:00-4:30 Play Time or Outside Time
4:30-5:30 T.V. Time
5:30-7:30 Dinner, Daddy Time and Bed
8:00 Bed

Using the computer I put each of the activities in our schedule on an index card with a picture of what were doing on them. I bought two hooks and put them in the wall. Whenever it is time to do something he turns the card over to the blank side and moves it to the other hook. So then he knows what is coming up next in his schedule. He loves it!
My question for you is can you think of some ideas for me to do in the 3:30-4:00 time slot? I would like to add some new ideas.
Thanks,
Rebecca

AnnetteR
User

Postby AnnetteR » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:15 pm

It's hard to answer not knowing the age of your child and if you are asking for lessons other than art and music or more specific ideas for art and music. I can offer you this though; I have a book "What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know" that is full of great ideas for social studies, science, history, geography, etc. The pubisher makes similar books for other grades as well. The series is availabe at my local library - you don't get any cheaper than this and you wouldn't pay for any material that doesn't fit with your ideology or philosophy.

It's the Core Knowledge series, edited by Hirsch and Holdren.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

hbmom36
User

Postby hbmom36 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:19 pm

How about free play? He is very tightly scheduled. He may do well with that now, but in the future he needs to know how to handle himself when he doesn't have an activity scheduled.

Mone_Joe
User

Postby Mone_Joe » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:25 pm

My suggestion for that time slot would be "Exploration Time". The idea is to have a globe, spin it around and let him put a finger on an area. Let's say you happen to stop on China. If you have an internet, do a search for 'china' (there are sites for kids) and explore the region, people, food, etc. Next cut out pictures from the magazine and do like a collage onto a poster board. So each week, your son will be learning about geography and society. If you don't have a globe, write down names of countries on piece of paper, put them in a canister and each week, you will draw one paper.

I've never tried with my daughter, since this idea just came to me today, but I will definately try it. I hope this suggestion is helpful. But good luck! =)

MaryC
User

Postby MaryC » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:09 pm

mc

Return to “A Day at Our House”