What to use with 2nd grader? SOS? Lifepac?

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

tinamccollum
User

What to use with 2nd grader? SOS? Lifepac?

Postby tinamccollum » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:49 am

I have 2 boys in school. 3rd grade and 2nd grade. I am planning to use Switched on Schoolhouse 2.0 R2 for the oldest, but I am not sure what to use with the 2nd grader. He has been going to an Academy for the last 3 years using ACE. According to them, he is halfway through his 2nd grade year, but I feel he needs to start at the beginning of 2nd because he is a slow reader. By the way he is only 6 anyway and will be 7 in a couple of months. If you have had any experience with Switched on Schoolhouse or Lifepac by Alpha and Omega Publication please comment. Thanks
razn3boysnhappy

Laurieinwa
User

Postby Laurieinwa » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:42 pm

are you planning to use lifepacs for all their subjects? I know that it can be quite overwhelming and boring using all lifepacs. The SOS is quite intensive and has lots of busy work. We used it once in highschool for one subject but it was just too much information.
Wife to Gary 23 years. Mom to Tyler (21), Bucky (19), Callie (17), Tobias (14), Miles (11), Maggie Rose (8), Isaac (5), Gary Jr. (2).

tinamccollum
User

Postby tinamccollum » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:47 am

I have ordered all lifepac for my 2nd grader. and all SOS for my 3rd grader. I didn't know what to do and time was running out. I am going to try it this year and see how it goes. Thanks for the reply.
razn3boysnhappy

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:53 pm

Just remember to be flexible, and if you need supplements that are a little lighter and more fun, such search on the internet, their are a ton of worksheets and other fun stuff to keep school a little more enjoyable.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Linda Woody
User

Postby Linda Woody » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:39 pm

Hello,
I have used ABEKA for home school and also in a Christian school classroom for K, 1st., and 2nd. grades. I also have used LifePak for Jr. High and also Saxon Math for Jr. High. I recommend any of these for the grades I have listed. <p>
Can I interest you in trying a free 2 lesson unit in phonics based spelling that I have developed as a graduate student technology integration project. I need home schoolers to help evaluate the effectiveness of the project. I would love to send an e-mail to you with more information if you are interested. Sincerely, Linda Woody <mrslwoody@mac.com>
Linda Woody
WGU Graduate Student
Acme Spelling Program Project

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”