looking for high school zoology curriculum

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

mswhacker
User

looking for high school zoology curriculum

Postby mswhacker » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:41 pm

I've been looking for a high school course in zoology with no luck. Does anyone know where I might find some? thank you

Theodore

Re: looking for high school zoology curriculum

Postby Theodore » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:16 pm

That's a tough one. While I did find some homeschool resources for grade-level zoology when I Googled, there don't seem to be a lot of options for high school zoology. Most homeschoolers go the regular physical science / chemistry / biology / physics route, so zoology is largely neglected. Also, while there are general science exams for both AP and CLEP, neither AP nor CLEP (nor for that matter, DSST) offers an exam specific to zoology, so you can't just study on your own and take an exam to prove competence.

Basically, you can either take a zoology course at your local community college (or any college that offers courses online), or buy a college zoology textbook, work through it (keeping a transcript as you go), and hope for the best. For purposes of college credit, you can always use Credit By Examination or Portfolio Review later if a college doesn't accept your transcript as sufficient proof, and everyone else should just take you at your word.

Rinata
User

Postby Rinata » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:24 pm

I am not teaching zoology yet but I will be in the future. I plan on using two textbooks and then planning it out myself. The textbooks are "Animal: The Definitive Visual Guide to the World's Wildlife" ISBN:0756616344 for $25. Also "Zoology Coloring Book" ISBN:0064603016 for $21.95. There is also available "Digital Zoology Version 2.0 CD-Rom and Student Workbook" ISBN:00725664814 for $44.75. I don't know if I'll use the CD-Rom but I may check it out. You can also get these items and Amazon.com used.
Birth daughter, C, 14yo, 9th grade.
Foster son, E, 2 months.

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”