First grade???

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Basswe
User

First grade???

Postby Basswe » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:54 pm

MWeaverling

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:39 am

heidijo
User

Postby heidijo » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:05 am

Some of your choices for books will depend on your teaching style and your children's learning style. Do they love workbooks? Do they like to make crafts a lot? Do they like to listen to books on tape?

These and more are all things to consider. Many parents just look at what is comfortable for them and then a few months down the road everyone hates school.

For first grade I would recommend reading lots of picture books related to History and Science. (I have book lists on my website). My son and I learned so much from reading picture books that we didn't even need a boring textbook. If your children need to learn to read, I taught all 4 of my children to read with Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons.

We loved All About Spelling and Math U See has been our favorite for Math although I made up our own skip counting songs. Spectrum Math is good too and inexpensive.

If you give me a little more info on your children I might be able to recommend more stuff for you. Hope this helps.
Heidi
http://www.homeschool-how-to.com
Articles, Tips and Resources for new and veteran homeschool parents

MOMS
User

Postby MOMS » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:56 am

This is also our 1st yr hs too & so far the BEST advice i was given was to read Mary Pride's "Complete Guide To Homeschooling". That book was so helpul to our family!
Married to Big Hondo <~ luv this guy ;)
StevieRay (12)
Sato (8 )
Mia (6)
Baby Hondo (4)

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”