Saxon Math Assessment

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

PottersDaughter
User

Saxon Math Assessment

Postby PottersDaughter » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:46 am

Brand spankin' new HS mom to DS8 (2nd grade) and DD6 (1st grade).

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:00 am

"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:29 am

It seems like people either love Saxon math or they hate it. I used it for first grade with one of my sons and I liked it okay. But it becomes more difficult in the older grades and I don't like it. It seems to be put together in a confusing way to me. I wonder if you should try having your children take a different placement test to see how the results compare. Here is a page from Sonlight. It includes a placement test from Singapore math, which is my favorite for younger children and a placement test from Teaching Textbooks, which is my favorite for higher grade levels.

http://www.sonlight.com/placement-tests.html

See what you think.

dkocur
User

Postby dkocur » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:38 am

If you think he didn't do as well as he should have, then maybe some other factor got in the way of an accurate assessment. If you suspect that's the case it certainly wouldn't hurt to have him retake the test. From personal experience I did much better the second time I took the SAT. It wasn't because I learned anything between the first and second test, but because I took the first one after staying up late.

I have a sneaky suspicion that your son would have done better had he taken the test in the morning rather than after dinner. You're in a much better position to make that judgment, but keep in mind that studies show that people think clearer in the morning.

PottersDaughter
User

Postby PottersDaughter » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:10 am

dkcour - Do you think after eating lunch is fine to retake it? LOL

I guess retaking it wouldn't hurt. There are definitely more positives from my opinion to Saxon than negatives. I'm going to go check out that link now though, that hscoach posted. (Thank you!!!)

I appreciate the feedback everyone!!!
Brand spankin' new HS mom to DS8 (2nd grade) and DD6 (1st grade).

mindy8
User

Saxon

Postby mindy8 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:38 pm

Am07
User

Postby Am07 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:09 pm

We've used Saxon for 4 years now and I have decided to put both of my girls on different math programs in the fall.

My older daughter will be going into 4th grade in the fall. She did amazing in math through 2nd grade but this year she just did average. I feel like Saxon is too all over the place for her and a mastery program will work much better for her. She also struggles with memorizing her math facts and hates the Saxon times math facts practices and tests. We are switching her over to teaching textbooks this fall.

We did the first half of Saxon 1 with my younger daughter for first grade. She did average and I feel like she might do better with a different curriculum as well, so we are switching her over to math u see.

It's my understanding that Saxon is one of the tougher curriculums and that could be why your son is testing at a lower level? Maybe try a test from another curriculum and see where he places?

faithmoore
User

Re: Saxon Math Assessment

Postby faithmoore » Thu May 12, 2016 1:05 am

Thanks for the details. I will use this curriculum next year for my students.

Lolore22
User

Postby Lolore22 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:20 am

Thank you

aghamajid
User

Postby aghamajid » Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:01 am

Of course, Ideal CV for Employer Excellent resumes catch the eye of hiring managers and recruiters, guarantee interviews, and help you land a job at the firm of your choice. Indeed, we are the CV maker UAE, we help you acquire a job with our expert services. What are you waiting for? Get in touch with us to obtain your expert resumes and CVs. https://perfectresume.ae/

JadeNile
User

Postby JadeNile » Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:33 pm

What's up, fellow gamers? Just wanted to drop a quick note about Destiny 2 - this game is a blast, especially if you're into intense PvP action. And when it comes to the Trials of Osiris, believe me, it's the pinnacle of excitement. Feeling a bit daunted? No worries, check this link https://gamingcy.com/en-us/destiny-2-bo ... -of-osiris to smooth out the learning curve. It’s the perfect way to enjoy the competition without the pressure of going solo. So, why not give it a whirl? See you on the battlefield!

micheal44
User

Postby micheal44 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:01 am

While working on my Math Assessment, I often thought, 'Can someone 'Do My College Assignment For Me?' While it is important to grasp concepts firsthand, occasional guidance can be a lifesaver. Looking for help wisely can lead to a better understanding and results.

Hanako
User

Postby Hanako » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:49 pm

Providing opportunities to practice math skills through online sexygame gameplay is a very interesting and effective approach. https://sexygame88.vip/ This is a progressive critique of the concept that learning can be fun and challenging at all levels of education. Here are some of the important advantages of online gaming systems used to practice math skills.
fun learning Games often have designs that keep players entertained and challenged throughout. That can be a driving force for students to understand and experiment with thinking outside the box in interesting ways.
Developing mathematics skills Games designed to practice math skills can help players develop math skills such as problem solving, measurement, and prediction.
Mathematics ability test Challenging online gameplay allows players to test their math abilities. And there is progress tracking that helps in improving abilities.
Team building and collaboration Some games that focus on math skills may provide opportunities to collaborate or compete with other players, making learning a social experience.
Flexibility in studying Games make it possible for students to choose their studies based on their aptitude and level of difficulty. This allows for flexible learning.
Monitoring and evaluation Most online game systems have monitoring and evaluation that helps measure learner progress and provide feedback that can lead to improvements.
Balancing the use of technology Incorporating games to practice math skills helps balance the use of technology. Students will have the opportunity to learn about and use technology in useful and interesting ways.
Promoting analytical and critical thinking Mathematically challenging games can stimulate the player's analytical thinking and judgment. It requires calculation and decision making in a complex context.
Stimulating interest in mathematics Mathematically challenging games can make players feel interest in mathematics. It makes mathematics not only a scary subject but also a fun one.
Creating a learning experience that emphasizes experimentation Well-designed games allow players to experiment and repeat learning. Makes understanding and lasting memory
Giving feedback and encouragement Online gaming system that provides answers and positive encouragement Able to create a good attitude towards learning and promote skills in dealing with failure
Using online gaming systems to practice mathematical skills is an interesting alternative and has the potential to add value to the learning process. However, proper focus and care is essential for successful and effective learning outcomes.

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”