A Beka to Time4Learning ?s 7th and 2nd Grade (dyslexia)

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Krisci
User

A Beka to Time4Learning ?s 7th and 2nd Grade (dyslexia)

Postby Krisci » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:10 pm

My son is moving into 7th Grade and has used A Beka since Kindergarten. We have substituted or added other curricula but A Beka was always the base. His standardized testing scores have always been grades above his level so it has certainly been successful for us.

My daughter is also moving into 2nd and has used A Beka successfully. She is at grade level but needs a bit more work on reading (diagnosed with Dyslexia this year).

We want to change things up a bit since this will be my daughter's first year homeschooling. I'm intrigued by Time4Learning.

I have some questions.

Has anybody here had a student is above grade level switch to Time4Learning? If so, was it too easy or did you find it challenging enough?

I know many homeschool parents hate the mention of standardized testing. We're not one of them though LOL. We like to do the same type of test yearly and see what worked and what did not. Right or wrong, we like this method. So, for those who have children using Time4Learning, how are those standardized test scores?

Also, if you have a young child with Dyslexia, did Time4Learning work well for you? Were there any challenges? My daughter does also attend therapy so she gets more help than we'll be providing.

Thank you so much for any input. I really appreciate it.

miska5298
User

Postby miska5298 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:32 pm

I can only reply about the testing. This was our first year homeschooling my 4th grade son. He's on grade level - average student. We used T4L as our main curriculum because it was very visual for him, and online. We just got the ITBS results back and he scored average overall. So imho T4L worked out fine for our first year. Our only concern is that T4L isn't spiral which we found out he needs. He def needs a review more often. I think if it was he would have done better. That's the only reason we may look at other curriculum but we will keep T4L because he likes it so much. The good thing is T4L allows you 3 grade levels at once to use if she wants and also you can switch her grade level anytime.

Krisci
User

Postby Krisci » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:15 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. I do like the fact that they can go up or down in grade levels. I let my son watch the demo yesterday. He thought it was too easy. We were both sort of shocked by how easy the questions were. One question was on the science demo and I don't remember exactly what the question was but it was something like

What is the earth's crust made up of?
A. soil
B. chocolate

We'll take a look at it again but not sure this will be right for him. I'll check out the second grade courses for my daughter.

KeriMomof2
User

Postby KeriMomof2 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:20 pm

Hi...
Well we actually used Abeka for our dd in K & 1st and switched to Time4Learning 1/2 way into the 1st yr as we all didnt care for Abeka..

My dd was struggling to learn to read ,but once she switched to Time4Learning within a couple of weeks she was reading like a pro ;)

I really like this program because you can adjust it ,as it gives you 3 grades for the price of one...

Just remember even if your child is supposed to be in 7th or 2nd grade doesnt mean you "Have" to do that grade..you can choose various grade levels to meet you child acdemic needs...
if your child is in 7th in math but 8th in lang then you can do this at no extra charge....thats why i lOVE this program...

BTW last yr at our evaluation my dd was above grade level..(we dont do "Testing" )

I will admit thou,We have been slacking this year ,but i am amazed at how much she has learned in such a lil bit of time ..and i know this summer she will catch back up quickly using this program...
Keri
No-Vax~EBF~Time4Learning-Homeschooler~Crunchy Momma 2 DD & DS <3

Krisci
User

Postby Krisci » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:59 pm

Keri, thanks! I am off to revisit the site. This could be a big help for my daughter.

conniepritchard
User

Re: A Beka to Time4Learning ?s 7th and 2nd Grade (dyslexia)

Postby conniepritchard » Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:34 am

You also join the https://angry-gran.com website to have entertaining moment with your daughter.

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”