First yr homeschooler (10th grade)...need advice

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

bubbaansissy
User

First yr homeschooler (10th grade)...need advice

Postby bubbaansissy » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:07 am

need some curriculum advice for my niece, age 16, entering 10th grade. she has always been in public school, but due to serious social pressure, will be homeschooled next year & possibly for the remainder of her high school years.

i homeschool my 2 children, ages 5 & 7, but do not have any idea what type of curriculum a 10th grader would need. my niece is not very trustworthy at working on her own to accomplish goals. so, with that, i think she would need something like an online curriculum or dvd guided, etc.

basically, what subjects will she need to take for 10th grade? thanks so much.
Colossians 3:2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things....

Homeschooling Mama of Jake & Kenzie Leigh
Wife of Phil (Military Dad)

Our motto for now: accidents happen.......

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:46 pm

The classes she will need for 10th grade will depend on what she took in 9th and what her goals are.........for example, does she plan to go to college? Here is a link for a HSLDA brochure that shows examples of what classes you need for high school. -

http://www.hslda.org/highschool/HTHS4YearPlan.pdf

PacificOhana
User

Postby PacificOhana » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:37 pm

I agree with hscoach. One of the strengths of homeschooling is that you get to "personalize" the curriculum for your student. If you let us know a bit more about where she is currently, what her goals are, and, very importantly, what she likes and dislikes about her classes, we might be able to make some suggestions.

cocoa
User

Postby cocoa » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:06 pm

The others gave great advice regarding deciding whether your neice is going to college, and to which college she might attend. Also, considering which curriculum subjects she has already taken in 9th grade is important. But one of the first things to do, if you haven't already, is find out about your particular state's homeschool laws regarding registration, attendance, hours of study, and curriculum requirements. State laws vary quite a bit, so it's always best to check there first. In my state we have several registration options. One is to register with the local public school superintendent and being accountable directly to him/her. Another is registering with an umbrella school and meeting their requirements (umbrella school requirements vary quite a bit from one school to another). You can find your state's homeschool laws by doing a google search, or by searching the HSLDA web-site: www.hslda.org

Also, you can get great state-specific advice from homeschool group leaders in your area. Most are very willing and helpful to answer questions for new homeschoolers. Usually the leader or president of a homeschool group is the one to contact. He/she is usually a veteran homeschooler who is well-versed in offering curriculum choices with advice on how best to comply with your particular state's homeschool laws. A quick google search should turn up quite a few groups in your area. Search google with phrases like the following, but plugging in your state or county info. For example, type in: "Alabama Homeschool Groups" or "Knox County Christian Homeschoolers."

HTH!

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”