New and trying to decide

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

mom2five
User

New and trying to decide

Postby mom2five » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:25 pm

We've pretty much decided to pull our 7 year old son out of public school and homeschool him for 2nd grade. I've been looking at curriculum and reading reviews and would like some opinions on curriculum I like. I really don't want to use a complete curriculum as I want to tailor it more to interests and learning style. I am willing to use either Christian or non-Christian materials for most subjects.

For math, I like Math-U-See Beta. I was never good at math and wish I had been taught this way. My son should like the hands on stuff and likes to know "why?".

For Science I want to use Apologia Zoology 1. My son LOVES creatures of all kinds and is already doing a Zoo summer camp that involves things like bats and owls.

For history/literature I like Sonlight Core 1. I like the literature based program and I plan to use many field trips to museums and history centers to supplement history.

Any suggestions for reading, writing, grammar, or art? What about HWT, Explode the Code or Drawing with Children? I know I need to add music and PE, but I don't think I'll have a problem with that. Are there any other subjects that I need to add?

sartasd
User

Postby sartasd » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:44 pm

I have used Christian Light Education for Reading, Language Arts, and Math. We use other resources for Science and History. We might be changing our math to something else next year,

For my 14 yo. The Key to series

For my 8 yo. who will be 2nd grade next year, CLP or ? Not sure yet.

Your can see samples at CLE's site and see if you like their material.

CLE is similar to Rod and Staff (Amish) CLE is Mennonite http://www.clp.org

I also like going to homeschool reviews to see how others liked or dislike something before I bought it.
Sharon

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:25 pm

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”