Best homeschool Spanish program?

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

austindad
User

Best homeschool Spanish program?

Postby austindad » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:00 am

Hi all. I'm new to this forum and wanted to know what people thought was the best home-school package for teaching Spanish to younger kids (5-7 years)?
I have heard a lot of good things about the Risas y Sonrisas SpanishforKids program (http://www.spanishforkids.com) and wondered if anyone had ever used that program? It seems like you get a lot for your money at least and it's well put together.
Thanks!

gizzy
User

Postby gizzy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:01 am

Do you have any background in Spanish at all?

I tend to think that less is more, sometimes. I am not too familiar with Risas y Sonrisas program, but I intend to check it out as I am constantly looking for programs and ways to help keep the kids interest in Spanish up.

I'm currently studying Spanish in College and intend to minor in the language. I've done self study of the language in the past.

I wouldn't recommend to rigid of a program for 5-7 year olds. Its more important that they speak and understand spoken Spanish first, if this is their first introduction to the language.

This is a book I've checked out from the Library several times and am building my own little curriculum from for use with my 3 bambinos, ages 4-8.
http://www.amazon.com/Spanish-Beginners ... 031&sr=1-1

As you can see, its older but very affordable and I intend to invest in obtaining my own copy when I have the money. Right now, I'm utterly broke.

You can use one of those "My first 10/5/1-hundred words in Spanish" books to supplement for vocabulary.

Also, check out this book.
http://www.amazon.com/Play-Learn-Spanis ... 346&sr=1-7

It's another book I have had my eye on for quite a while, its great for learning everyday Spanish that parents use with their kids. Keep in mind, being a home-schooling parent, means that you are responsible for your child's education.

Text and tapes are tools that teach, but we get our education from those around us and in the weirdest of ways. I learn compassion from my parents (especially dad) always being willing to work with and help people. I learned money management from watching my parents save and spend according to the family plan and conserve when we had a goal to reach.

Use imagination, creativity, patience, patience, time wisely, patience, and of course, patience. Bigger is hardly ever better.

So, Risas y Sonrisas looks interesting and engaging, but have you considered other programs and alternatives? What programs have you put together and what program are you making for your kids? Whats the plan to get the family talking and playing in Spanish?

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:09 pm

I've never heard of the one you mentioned.

I have read many good comments about Speedy Spanish.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Bedelopret
User

Postby Bedelopret » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:51 am

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”