Curriculum so far for next year...what do you think?

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

sjos
User

Curriculum so far for next year...what do you think?

Postby sjos » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:37 am

Ok, I have found several things that I am interested in finding out more information about for next year. Here are some of what I was thinking about trying. Do you think this combination would work ok? Too much work? Any input would be great. This is for a 1st grader, and it will be my first year of hs.

Abeka-Language
Abeka-History/Social Studies
Abeka-Bible
ETC-Reading/Phonics
MUS-Math
HWT-Handwriting
Not sure about Science??

elliemaejune
User

Re: Curriculum so far for next year...what do you think?

Postby elliemaejune » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:47 pm

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

sjos
User

Postby sjos » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:12 pm

hollyb
User

curriculum for next year

Postby hollyb » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:37 pm

sjos- Welcome to the homeschooling family! I'm in my 13th year and always excited to talk to new homeschoolers.

I agree with those who've assured you that the public school requirements will not be hard to fulfill. In general, it's best to erase the whole public school approach from your mind and start afresh with inspiring, thought-provoking, and enriching activities. At her age, your DD needs to experiment and experience to learn. I don't even touch grammar in the formal sense until about 4th grade. A love, longing, and appreciation for language starts in stories (and lots of 'em!) Handwriting sessions can be in workbooks sometimes, but also with a stick in the dirt or sculpy clay.

Play, play, play! Plan your playtime so that it's teaching skills and facts that you think DD should know this year.

Unless she has some learning disabilities, DD will NOT have problems meeting state standards. Set your own bar with DD's best in mind and the help of the Lord and you will be blown away at her development! Blessings!

hollyb
User

apologies

Postby hollyb » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:45 pm

sjos Sincerest apologies for thinking DD was your daughter! Got yours mixed up with another post. Hope you understand my thoughts, regardless. :oops:

pecangrove
User

Postby pecangrove » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:50 pm

I agree... I would do very little formal education at this age. I would focus of fun. Playing is educational for young children.
With my youngest son we did do some simple worksheets simply because he wanted to do "real school," but otherwise we played all sorts of games, make all sorts of arts and crafts, sang, 'played' music instruments, and stayed outside as long as the weather allowed.
There is plenty of time for lesson plans and school books... be as relaxed as your state allows and you'll be amazed at how your child will bloom.
:D
It's ok if you don't know where you're going,
so long as you know the ONE who does.

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:02 pm

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”