Math curriculum choices for 2nd grade. Help!!!!!

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

bedashwood
User

Math curriculum choices for 2nd grade. Help!!!!!

Postby bedashwood » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:49 am

Has anyone any experience or know of anyone who has experience with MASTERING MATHEMATICS by Letz Farmer? Its supposedly for grades 1 thru 6. We are currently using Horizons math for 1st and we like it somewhat, but it is very flashy and very dependent on me (the teacher). I have 2 other highly “activeâ€

Jill
User

Postby Jill » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:03 pm

I used Mastering Math with both my kids - one average math student who came out of ps in 2nd grade and was really struggling in math and one "math mind" who started with Mastering Math in K. I started the second grader on page 1, and we worked quickly to master the skills that were covered.

I finished the program with both kids. One finished at the end of 6th grade and my other one finished mid-5th. My older went into Teaching Textbooks 7 because it seemed like it would be a review and I wanted to build her confidence in math. She blew through it and made an A on every lesson. The younger went directly into Pre-Algebra (didn't need the confidence building as much), again, no problems.

Check out my more detailed review here http://www.homeschool-by-design.com/mastering-mathematics.html. I haven't updated it since my 2nd child finished. I need to. Some of my friends feel it doesn't provide enough practice problems. Overall, it gets a THUMBS UP from me based on the results I got with my kids. It's no frills and covers what they need to know for 1-6 grade at a VERY reasonable price per year.

Best wishes!
Jill

bedashwood
User

Thanks!

Postby bedashwood » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:19 am

pecangrove
User

Postby pecangrove » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:26 pm

It's ok if you don't know where you're going,
so long as you know the ONE who does.

sartasd
User

Postby sartasd » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:22 pm

I second the CLE Christian LIght Education.

Both of my kids LOVE CLE. The math is mostly done independently.
I only have to assist a little bit.
Sharon

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”