totally lost on choosing curiculum

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

faiths13
User

totally lost on choosing curiculum

Postby faiths13 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:02 am

i want to start hs'ing my son for 4th grade, but i am clueless as to how to build a ciriculum. can any give me some guidance please?
Beth

curranbound
User

Postby curranbound » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:16 am

Timberdoodle has some good pre-packaged curriculum packs. Many new HS'ers start out with pre-packaged and then once they feel they have some experience and get more comfortable start to build their own. If you are unsure that may be a way to go to start out with.

elliemaejune
User

Re: totally lost on choosing curiculum

Postby elliemaejune » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:01 pm

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

josh_chs
User

Postby josh_chs » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:31 pm

There a number of curriculum companies all with different styles. Alpha Omega has student driven curriculum. Sonlight is literature based. Abeka and Bob Jones are used in classroom situations and take more teacher preparation. They are also known to be more rigorous. Apologia is known for its science & experiments. etc. etc.

1. Decide on the main subjects.
2. Figure out the style of curriculum you are looking for. Student driven, more classroom based, literature based, or a hands on approach? What would work best for your child?
3. Next find out the curriculum companies that offer this style. Take a look at some reviews of that curriculum. Possibly get a copy of Cathy Duffy and see what she has to say.
4. See if that company offers placement testing to get the right grade level. Otherwise look at the scope & sequence to find where your student is at.
5. Get your curriculum, and see how it works. Don't be afraid to make changes if it's not working.

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”