Need something with LOTS of structure, Suggestions?

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

kkapfe
User

Need something with LOTS of structure, Suggestions?

Postby kkapfe » Sat May 23, 2009 10:04 am

azrose
User

Postby azrose » Sat May 23, 2009 12:23 pm

Homeschool mom to last of four

Lorelei Sieja
User

Homeschool Burnout

Postby Lorelei Sieja » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:21 pm

Before you go a step further, see if you can get a copy of "Homeschool Burnout" by Raymond and Dorothy Moore. I think it will really give you and your husband the lift you need, and encourage you. Reading anything by the Moores will help, but that one is really great.

Next, one of the cheapest homeschool curriculums I know of is the Robinson Curriculum. I think it was under $300 for a complete K-12 program. One time payment. Oh- not complete - you had to get your own math and your own primary phonics/learn to read stuff.

Robinson's curriculum worked for a single parent dad to teach his eight children. THe basis is that you homeschool five hours a day, six days a week, pretty much year round, but take days off, vacations, etc, as you need to. The kids do 2 hours of reading, 2 hours of math, and 1 hour of writing.

You just read. You don't have to answer questions about what you read. You don't have to break apart the novel and discuss comprehension quizzes. You read.

THe math is all Saxon math, which is the best math program out there, in a lot of opinions, not just mine. In every school that put in Saxon math, in three years, they saw a huge jump in their students Standardized math scores. It's odd, that when our local school got money to improve their curriculum, they took the ONE thing that worked and threw it out! You have to do Saxon math right, to get the benefits. I substitute taught in schools where the teachers obviously couldn't read directions <G>.

The one hour of writing, the child writes about anything. You do correct it, and discuss any issues with the child, but don't force the child to "do it over". The child should use the knowledge in the next writing assignment. It's this correcting, and writing, that helps the child learn grammar, sentence structure, how to express himself well. In reading GOOD books, the child can learn everything else -history, science, social studies, philosophy, etc.

Then, when school is "out" your children should be involved in projects or programs that you feel are important. This might include youth groups at church, or community service, or Suzuki music lessons - whatever meets your goals.

This is such a simple curriculum, I wish I had learned about it much sooner.

However, some of the reading in the program is kind of boring. But instead of reading a history book on the revolutionary war, your older child (much older) will be reading George Washington's diaries.

Good luck - and I hope you do get encouraged and rejuvenated! I don't believe public school is the answer, and I have my degree in Education.

Lorelei
Lorelei Sieja
www.raisingcreativechildren.com
Nurturing Creative Young Minds and Wiggly Bodies

Elei
User

Postby Elei » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:41 am

Have you checked on the "workbox system":
http://www.workboxsystem.com/
I heard about it a week ago and we are starting with it today. It is great to have structure and independent work.

Have a look at it on the oficial website and do some research on some blogs, a lot seem to have started with this system and they seem to be very happy with it.

For me, the two hours that we have started (haha), I'm happy with it, because I have two kids doing mathwork and me writing on the computer LOL

Tiia
User

Postby Tiia » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:09 am

well, I'm not the one who started this thread, but I really did benifit from it. Thank you Lorelei for reminding me about the Robinson Curriculum. I have my problems typed out in detail on the off topic threads, but they are simmilar to Kelli's. I checked out his site, watched the lecture on the homepage, and saw the price WOW!!! One time payment of less than $200.00 (granted the Saxon books are extra, but still!) !!!!!! I am loving this. All three of my kids can have their whole k-12 curriculum for this??? Even after adding the cost of the Saxon books, divided between three kids for all 13 grades??? That is super inexpensive. I'm very excited about it.
Tiia :D
Mom to:
Ethan: Jan/02
Levi: Mar/04
Ezri: Jan/06

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”