When to begin homeschooling a Preschooler

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

OntheRoadtoReading
User

Postby OntheRoadtoReading » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:49 pm

Funny, but I was not talking about "new math" or "whole language" (which hasn't been used in schools for over 30 years!!). Not keeping up with what works is short-sighted and irresponsible whether you are home schooling or not.
On the Road to Reading

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:16 pm

OntheRoadtoReading wrote:Funny, but I was not talking about "new math" or "whole language" (which hasn't been used in schools for over 30 years!!). Not keeping up with what works is short-sighted and irresponsible whether you are home schooling or not.

Funny, but I knew you weren't talking about "new math" or "whole language." I was using those to point out the fact that professional educators do not have a corner of the market when it comes to keeping up with what works.

Most parents are not short-sighted and irresponsible, even if they do not "keep up with what works."

You said:
Preschool does require a curriculum. Look for one that is based on developmentally appropriate practices such a learning through play, pre-reading and pre-math skills, listening comprehension, fine and gross motor skills, executive functioning, etc.

Yes, that implies that you are promoting a formal structured curriculum (using "curriculum" in its the true meaning). And I say again that no, it is absolutely not necessary for parents to use a curriculum of any kind. Parents have been teaching their children through play, long before the educational experts got involved, and their children have learned pre-reading and pre-math skills, listening comprehension, find and gross motor skills, executive functions, etc., all without a curriculum. They will continue to do so.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Caretaker of 2 budgies

OntheRoadtoReading
User

Postby OntheRoadtoReading » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:47 pm

Sorry to hear how negative you are towards learning about what works. It sounds as though your attitude will keep you from learning.
On the Road to Reading

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:46 pm

OntheRoadtoReading wrote:Sorry to hear how negative you are towards learning about what works. It sounds as though your attitude will keep you from learning.

Oh, I am all about learning what works. I am not interested in learning about the methods that professionals have come up with to teach children who are institutionalized instead of being home with their parents.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years

Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil

Grandmother to 1 sweet boy

Caretaker of 2 budgies

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”