Affordable online high school programs??

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

opie103
User

Affordable online high school programs??

Postby opie103 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:59 am

My daughter is currently a sophomore in high school, and I am finding it to be a complete joke. In her Spanish class last year the students were so unruly that the teacher finally just gave up. She would make idle threats to send the students to the Principal's office, but never backed up her threats. The rest of the year was spent with the kids doing whatever they wanted, and the teacher just sitting there, staring into space. This year is not much different, but in addition to the poor learning environment, she is now ridiculed and comes home crying. I am looking at online high schools, but they are SO expensive! Do any of you use an affordable online high school program, where they actually teach the student? I have been checking into this, but the ones I have found are ridiculously expensive ($15,000?!!) Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:06 pm

Have you thought of teaching her/working with her yourself? There are many free online resources that you can use for homeschooling high school. It's not as difficult as you might think. Here is a link:

http://hslda.org/highschool/default.asp

Most states have free online public school, but please keep in mind, it is still public school. Here is a link:

http://www.k12.com/

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:55 pm

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

ptcbass
User

Postby ptcbass » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:21 pm

I am homeschooling a high schooler and have been looking into online classes for next year. There is Bridgeway Academy and Alpha Omega Academy. I think both offer teacher support and don't require the parent to teach. I know Alpha Omega Academy is all online. I think Bridgeway may be partial books where you will still have to grade some work. I am not sure though. Both cost around $3000 for a year. They will give you a quote based on your needs and how many classes you take. Good luck with your search!

LisaG
User

Cheap online High school

Postby LisaG » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:37 am

robertgraves
User

Online High School

Postby robertgraves » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:53 am

Bedelopret
User

Postby Bedelopret » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:50 am

Jackie4776
User

Online High School

Postby Jackie4776 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:43 pm

Shortly after we read some previous posts regarding VirtualEdu, we found the website and requested a demo. Virtual edu is actually American High School. I think VirtualEdu.org is just a website address for American. They actually do middle and high school(I have a 7th grader and 10th grader). I have tried several demos with other schools and I'd say this one was in the top 3. I enrolled my daughter(10th grader) in September for a "trial" run and have to say I am surprised it is working out. I am finally feeling like my daughter is learning something, and I can keep a better eye on her and the trouble she can get into and she likes that she can sign on whenever during the day. So far, so good! I am planning on enrolling my son after this year is over.

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”