What's your choice for teaching 1st grade?

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

TxMommaDee
User

What's your choice for teaching 1st grade?

Postby TxMommaDee » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:35 pm

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:11 pm

I'm also in Texas. :-)

For a little person who is just 6, the most I'd do is something for English-related skills and something for arithmetic. Everything else is just exposure (although you might consider reading the Well Trained Mind to get some ideas on science and history and whatnot).

My choice for the first is Spalding. It teaches dc to read by teaching them to spell, and includes penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, and simple writing.

My choice for the second...ok, I have a couple of choices. :-)

I like Rod and Staff Publishers for a more traditional arithmetic; no web site; you can request a catalog and samples by calling (606) 522-4348. For a more manipulatives-based arithmetic, I like Miquon. I also tend to a more relaxed, better-late-than-early approach with arithmetic; this article explains why.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Jakk
User

Postby Jakk » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:32 pm

This is going to sound like a lot, but we don't do all the subjects each day except math, LA and Bible. We started these subjects in the middle of K because she was more than ready for them. We school year round, so she will continue with the same choices when we resume school the first week of Sept.

I LOVE CLE, especially for math. We started out with MUS and my daughter was more interested in playing with the manipulatives than watching the video and doing her work.

CLE 100 Math, Language Arts & Bible (There are samples on their website, CLP.org)
Explode the Code Bk 3
Horizons Penmanship 2/Spelling 1
Real Science Odyssey Earth and Space
Learning States and Capitals
ClickNkids Spelling and Phonics

romacox
User

Postby romacox » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:23 am

Here is an article that describes the different methods homeschoolers use.

"How To Home School"
http://www.read-phonics.com/how-to-homeschool.html

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”