7 TH GRADER AND 9 TH GRADER

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

LMIELKE
User

7 TH GRADER AND 9 TH GRADER

Postby LMIELKE » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:17 pm

I AM NEW TO HOMESCHOOLING I HAVE A 12 YEAR OLD SON WHO IS ADHD AN THANK GOOD I TOOK HIM AF MEDICINE 3 MONTH AGO THE ONLY REAL PROBLEM IS TO GET HIME MOTIVATED TO DO HIS SCHOOLWORK HE DOES NOT WANT TO READ OR WRITE ECT. HE OF COURSE HAS DONE SOME WORK ALREADY,BUT MABY SOME ONE CAN HELP ME WITH IDEAS FOR HIM TO LEARN WHAT HE NEEDS TO. HE IS A GOOD READER ABOVE HIS LEVEL BUT HE HAS POORE HANDWRITING I HAVE TIED JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING INCLUDING HAVING MY NEIGHBOR TAKE HIS LAPTOP FOR AWHILE IT ONLY WORKS FOR A FEW DAYS AFTER HE GETS IT BACK THEN HE DOES NOT FEEL LIKE DOING ANY WORK ANNY IDEAS??????????????????
MY DAUGHTER ON THE OTHER HAND IS EASIER OF COURSE SHE IS 15 ALREADY THE ONLY PROMLEM I SEE IS IN THE HIGHER MATH ISSUES LIKE ALGEBRA AND FRACTIONS SHE HATES THEM ANY IDEA ON THAT ??????

THANK YOU LORRAINE

ahalleran
User

hey

Postby ahalleran » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:14 pm

Last edited by ahalleran on Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mathmom
User

7th grader & 9th grader motivations

Postby Mathmom » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:51 am

Hi Lorraine,
I have a 12 yr old daughter. She picked out her own math material, with my guidance, of course. She is working on a book from the publishers called Princeton Reviews. It is a paperback called MathSmart Junior, because it covers 6th - 8th grade math. She is still doing the review for multiplication, in the back of the book, because she wants to have basic arithmetic down pretty well before she starts the actual book. You can find it at a regular bookstore and it doesn't cost very much. She might like this type of book better, even if she is 15, just to get into doing math, not worrying about grade level, which I find is not so important.

If you are concerned about Algebra, I found this website, www.NCTM.org (that's National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, but don't let that intimidate you 8) );
There's a link to a project there called "Figure This!" and you can print the materials out from it. It helps them learn the concepts and skills they need to do and understand Algebra. There are activities, not just word problems. Check it out!

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”