reading schemes/home readers

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

kiribagiri
User

reading schemes/home readers

Postby kiribagiri » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:22 am

Hi everyone,

I am new to the homeschooling scene and am currently getting myself set up to teach my son next year. I am interested to know what you all use for home readers/reading schemes. I have subscribed to reading a-z, but I would like to know if you can purchase reading schemes for reasonable prices, or borrow them. I live in Australia.

I look forward to hearing from you

Tammy

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:58 am

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:56 am

Probably means like a series of books that you can borrow or get in the mail or something like that. In answer to the OP - Mom used McGuffey Readers with us younger kids, then later on Bob Books, Dr. Seuss (which still works for sounding out words, just don't try sight reading...) and books of similar level. Dad would also read books from Chronicles of Narnia and Lord of the Rings to us, so we learned to love books from an early age.

Aside from readers, you probably also want a phonics program.

Kitty-Cat
User

Postby Kitty-Cat » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:12 pm

Hi Tammy,

Another Aussie here :wink:
We do have readers but they are way expensive! I am looking at getting the Fitzroy readers for my daughter. http://www.fitzprog.com.au/
$50 per set!

I also know there are the "I Can" series because i have found the odd one at our second hand bookshop. These are more sight readers though.
I don't know where to buy them from. They are published by 'The Five Mile press' but I can't see them on there web site. So maybe these ones are out of print.

Another set i have is called "Now I'm Reading!" These are nice little books that come in a holder.http://www.innovativekids.com/activity_pack/
I have one set I bought from Double day bookclub but I just found that leatherwood books sells them too. http://www.leatherwoodbooks.com.au/show ... id=254&s=0 Much better price then the Fitzroy but I think the early readers(I have level 1) is still a little too advanced which is why I am thinking of getting the level one Fitzroy books.
Hey i just noticed they have a pre reader set there on leatherwood so maybe I wont need those expensive Fitzroy ones after all!

HTH
Jo from Australia

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:38 pm

I have found some great old ones on amazon for only a few dollars. The type of readers that you read a story in a theme and then it has questions and sometimes poems in them. I found a few old workbooks at tag sales and then I look for the hardcover book on amazon. I can give you some examples if you want.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”