Reading Web Site

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

baseballmom009
User

Reading Web Site

Postby baseballmom009 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:23 pm

I would like to have my son to have more reading/writing practices. Any good workbook to suggest for reading/writing for a 3rd grader?

Thanks!

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:15 am

My son is in third, but we skip the workbook for reading and instead pick children's classics to read together. Right now we're on Matilda, but we just finished The Little Prince. Since we've started, his outloud reading has gotten so much better!

For writing, we use a combination of Writing Strands and Editor In Chief. Writing Strands is a whole language approach to writing with all the elements (spelling, grammar, etc) built into the work instead of being done individually, which is great for most of the time. My son still needs a bit more help feeling comfortable with all the rules so we use Editor In Chief to supplement. In that, he gets to correct someone else's work and the mistakes he makes jump out more when it's his turn to write.
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”