Shiller Math; primary grades

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Entropy
User

Shiller Math; primary grades

Postby Entropy » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:44 pm

Can anyone give an appraisal of this program? I'm looking for something that teaches more conceptual understanding, it's so easy to find 'drill & kill' activities...

I ordered Saxon math and sent it back the next day. Now I'm afraid to order anything.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-Jodi. (Relative Newbie)

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:14 pm

I don't know anything about Schiller math, but have you looked at Math U See? It's a really great set up with hands on learning. The workbooks are very plain, so that might set you off of it, but it is a really great program. It's divided into 6 page lessons, the first 3 working with the new concept, and the last 3 working with new and older concepts to keep it fresh.
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:59 pm

You might find this link interesting. It has some great facts and reviews of math curriculum.

http://www.homeschoolmath.net/curriculum_reviews/

We've used Math Made Meaningful and Math U See in the past. My kids like Math U See best but Math Made Meaningful was very conceptual. I liked it a great deal. It was also good for multiple grades and had manipulatable components.

Entropy
User

Postby Entropy » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:32 pm

Thanks all! We've been sick so I had to put off my math curriculum quest for a little...

But jumping back into it...

I think I voted Schiller math off the island, and now I'm seriously considering Math U See and Rightstart Mathematics.

Thanks for your input.

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”